Gibson Brands Forums

DIY on my J45

Gruffchris

Note on removing the sticky leftover from the tape: Ronsonol may leave a residue even a minute amount and will penetrate the wood and remain. I believe it has some petro chemicals in it. Not sure about the Ronsonol but Naptha should be cleaner and not leave a residue. If someone knows more info please post.

Hey Guys,

again thank for the input :).

I was in my town centre, the hardware store was a fair walk and I passed a knitting shop? Went in and bought some Velcro.

The glue on the guitar came away in my hand rather easy.

and i didn't realise the battery already has velcro on it, anyway I just whacked some more on, and it's held so far........ [thumbup]

Glad to see you got the help/advice you needed.

It just struck me though that one man's problem is another's solution. I just had my newish J-45 setup at my local luthier and specifically asked to have all the electrics removed! I record with mics so no need.

It now sports an ivoroid 'butt plug' instead [scared]

It also now has a custom bone saddle and pins (so I guess you could say its been boned as well! [blush] ) and the action lowered a touch.

That makes it a touch lighter and a lot smoother to play. Sounds great too.

To each his own then.

Hey Guys,

again thank for the input :).

I was in my town centre, the hardware store was a fair walk and I passed a knitting shop? Went in and bought some Velcro.

The glue on the guitar came away in my hand rather easy.

and i didn't realise the battery already has velcro on it, anyway I just whacked some more on, and it's held so far........ [thumbup]

Yeah that's what I originally thought; that your battery bag was attached by velcro and it was the velcro strip that came off. That has happened to me before too.

As to the naptha getting into the wood; naptha evaporates almost instantly and the wood we are talking about is the neck block. I don't see any potential damage as a result of using it as long as you're not using a rag soaked in naptha.

Archived