Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone replaced switch on a studio lp

blueslespaultone

Ok guys, 1st off I must say I love my Gibson Les Paul 50s tribute with humbuckers.

Issue: occasionally when playing and switching from bridge to neck or vise versa,

The volume cuts out , poor switch contact? Most likely right?

Ok so I'm gonna buy a new switch, I'm a noob at working on les Paul's, Strats I can take apart and put back together solder new pickups and what have you.

1. Should I buy a Gibson switch or aftermarket and what size?

2. Installation pretty easy? I'm assuming.

Thanks in advance

d7b9ef76.jpg

This bad boy

If you bought it new, you might want to contact Gibson - there was an issue with some of the switches on those early 50s Tribute runs, brought up several times here on the forum.

Otherwise: Take off the back plate and check the solder joints on the switch and make sure the contact points are making proper contact. If the switch needs replacing, with the back plate off check what you've got and buy a new one. Here's a Switchcraft - http://www.allparts.com/Short-Toggle-Switch-p/ep-4066-000.htm

My 2012 Standard Premium Plus Honey Burst I bought 33 days ago was suffering the same trouble. Without removing the switch from the guitar, I immediately applied lots of contact cleaner spray, let it flow through the switch and finally drop on a piece of cloth below the opened back of the toggle switch compartment. While doing that, I operated the switch several times. I played this guitar every day since the purchase, and cutting out, hum, crackling or popping occured never again.

The product I used was CRC Chemicals Kontakt 60 which is a general purpose cantact cleaner leaving a thin anti-corrosive residue after vapourization of the contained alcohol. I think there are similar products available all over the world.

The switch on mine went out within the 1st week of owning it. Contacted Gibson Customer Service and was directed to the nearest repair center to have it fixed. He replaced the switch and even did a set-up for me at no cost.

Archived