Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone tell me about this SG?

burdger

I bought this guitar the other day, and it does need a tuning head, but I still got a great deal, I'm pretty sure. My question is, I've never seen another one with brushed chrome like this. Anyone know anything about it? When I looked up the serial number, it said it was made in August of 2004 in TN. Also, if anyone has an extra matching Grover tuner, please let me know.

2012-08-26_23-29-21_379.jpg

2012-08-26_23-29-55_757.jpg

2012-08-26_23-30-18_869.jpg

You have my guitar's sister (see photo below). Mine's been mod'd to the hilt with a 57+, P-94, Bigsby, and Sperzel Trim-Lok tuners. Ignore the mismatched knobs; that was an odd experiment. Not pictured is the Wilkinson roller bridge.

These guitars were part of a limited run of SG Special Platinum editions. They made three colors: Platinum, Sunrise Orange (mine), and Black (or whatever color they call yours). If yours is anything like mine it should be a heavy beast with a meaty neck and ebony fret board. I like this model a lot because of its weight and meaty neck. Google the platinum ones. The whole guitar, except for the ebony board, is platinum.

l.jpg

That is it! Thank you so much. Now all I have to do is find a stinking tuner... The guy I bought it off of gave me a set of replacement tuners for it, but the screw holes don't match up, and I don't want to drill into this thing.

If memory serves me correctly those are just plain Grover Rotomatics. You can order them from StewMac. Don't think you'll find them in the brushed silver, but chrome won't look too bad. I recommend these if you want something eye catching. They're a direct drop in and the screw holes will line up.

Grover_Super_Rotomatics_sm.jpg

So I won a set of those Grover tuners, but of course, even though we are like 40 minutes away from each other, he wants to ship them, and I'll have to wait a week to get them now.

Well on the bright side you got them for a steal.... the other seller had only a buy it now option for 48 bucks! Glad ya got em!

I did a search for Grover Rotomatic tuners when they came up.

Well on the bright side you got them for a steal.... the other seller had only a buy it now option for 48 bucks! Glad ya got em!

I did a search for Grover Rotomatic tuners when they came up.

Yeah, those are the only ones I saw when I did my own search. I'm stoked to get these in. I really want to play this guitar so badly. Thanks again for the links.

Archived