Gibson Brands Forums

bought a 1939 J-35

billdraper

Action looks rather high on that last pic there... perhaps just the angle?

Just meassured...and looks just a smidge under 1/8 " 12 fret low E...and the action feels good. But good point. I'll get an assessment on the quality of the neck set and the action when I see the luthier.

Thanks. Bill.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the asking price on the other guitars? The 1948 SJ?

This shop seems to have good prices, and they are busy...pricing things to sell? The 1948 SJ was gone upon my return the next day...I can't recall the price...only that I wasn't startled by it...$5,500?

The 1942 Banner J-45 he has at $4,700. Very warm friendly Gibson sound, but 1 11/16 neck, no truss rod. Still wish I could buy it though!!

He had a 1952 D-28 in beautiful shape for $5,200...sooo nice to play...wow the bass like went on til Christmas and the trebles were chiming bell-like...I had to hang that one back on the wall...fast!

He turns them over fast and its probably a good way to do it these economic times being what they are....and gives others a chance to get into the vintage guitar world.

Bill

Very nice. Congratulations. A friend has a 1939 J55 and in looking at it and pictures of others I notice his has individual bone screws under each string at the bridge where others have a one piece bridge. Has anyone seen the individual set up before?

Thanks

Rich

Very nice. Congratulations. A friend has a 1939 J55 and in looking at it and pictures of others I notice his has individual bone screws under each string at the bridge where others have a one piece bridge. Has anyone seen the individual set up before?

Thanks

Rich

Do you mean individual bone threaded adjustable saddles?

Archived