Gibson Brands Forums

bought a 1939 J-35

billdraper

Man. It was sittin on the wall. I took it down. I played. My credit card had room. I had to buy....ahhhh!!!

I had to post the news somewhere....figured there might be some sympathy here....things could be worse.

Now to sell off all my other guitars...wow can't believe it [scared][scared]

Bill

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man. It was sittin on the wall. I took it down. I played. My credit card had room. I had to buy....ahhhh!!!

I had to post the news somewhere....figured there might be some sympathy here....things could be worse.

Now to sell off all my other guitars...wow can't believe it [scared][scared]

Bill

Nice!

Now you'll have to tell us the whole story in four-part harmony, and eight by ten color glossy photographs with arrows and circles, explaining what all happened!!!

Fred

Well the guitar shop is a nice one that carries local made guitars and lots of used and vintage...so I drop in now and again. The owner is ok with customers sitting and playing and I like that too.

So I go in there last week to see what he had....bout dropped dead! All in a row a 1942 Banner J45, a 1948 SJ, and the 1939 J-35.

I've read about vintage guitars...Martins and Gibsons....but never played any ever....then its like wow. I played and liked all guitars. The owner was very happy to have this array of Gibsons. Beaming! Not

30 years in the business had he ever seen anything like this. This shop is in Victoria Canada so we we don't see vintage America too much I guess.

Well I went home and I couldn't stop thinking about those guitars. I went back yesterday on my lunchbreak. The SJ was gone. Going going gone...bye bye vintage Gibby...I knew I had to take one of the

remaining two. That J45. wow. I wanted that one. But the J-35 is so rare! Very nice blond top....1 3/4 neck....I had to have it. Only live once.

Sounds soooo nice. I'll get some pics.

Bill

Well the guitar shop is a nice one that carries local made guitars and lots of used and vintage...so I drop in now and again. The owner is ok with customers sitting and playing and I like that too.

So I go in there last week to see what he had....bout dropped dead! All in a row a 1942 Banner J45, a 1948 SJ, and the 1939 J-35.

I've read about vintage guitars...Martins and Gibsons....but never played any ever....then its like wow. I played and liked all guitars. The owner was very happy to have this array of Gibsons. Beaming! Not

30 years in the business had he ever seen anything like this. This shop is in Victoria Canada so we we don't see vintage America too much I guess.

Well I went home and I couldn't stop thinking about those guitars. I went back yesterday on my lunchbreak. The SJ was gone. Going going gone...bye bye vintage Gibby...I knew I had to take one of the

remaining two. That J45. wow. I wanted that one. But the J-35 is so rare! Very nice blond top....1 3/4 neck....I had to have it. Only live once.

Sounds soooo nice. I'll get some pics.

Bill

man love those J 35's

I wish there was a lefty 39 laying somewhere .

Mike Ness from Social Distortion has a bunch of old 39 J 35's they sound really beautiful

JC

Nicely under 10K...I have some wiggle room if any issues present themselves. Thats the scary part. I'm not an expert. But the store owner has a good rep and was excited about the guitar as to its condition and investment value. So...I'm going on faith somewhat. The guitar looks good. no cracks I can see. good playability up and down the neck. Some refinishing which could explain the lower price. no serial number on the block. I should get it registered with www.J-35.com too. I'll get some pics and sound soon.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Congratulations on the J-35! I'm really looking forward to the Pics and the Soundclips (my favorite way to have a new guitar presented).

My family and I spent some time in Victoria last year and we really enjoyed ourselves. It's a great place. I managed to visit a few guitar shops while there, all of which were very nice with friendly, helpful folks. Would you mind sharing which shop you purchased from? Only asking as I'm curious if it might have been one of the few that I visited.

Enjoy!

Nicely under 10K...I have some wiggle room if any issues present themselves. Thats the scary part. I'm not an expert. But the store owner has a good rep and was excited about the guitar as to its condition and investment value. So...I'm going on faith somewhat. The guitar looks good. no cracks I can see. good playability up and down the neck. Some refinishing which could explain the lower price. no serial number on the block. I should get it registered with www.J-35.com too. I'll get some pics and sound soon.

Bill

Wow, well you're just across the Strait from me (Vancouver)! Which store in Victoria was this at? I've bought from Old Town Strings there at Market Square(I think they're gone now?) and I know of one on Fort Street and another on Blanshard, and a funky joint in Fan Tan Alley.

Seems to me the ones on Fort and Blanshard had the most prospect for cool vintage stuff, but I get over to Victoria pretty rarely these days.

Congrats on finding the J-35 in sleepy old Victoria -- I guess there's still hope for cool finds like these!!

Fred

Dave at Old Town moved to Hillside and just does repairs now. I'm seeing him tommorrow actually. He recommended Classic guitars to me actually.

http://www.oldtownstrings.com/

Classic guitars on Fort st is the one.

Bill

Cool -- Dave worked on the '59 Country Western I bought at Old Town maybe ten years back (still have!). A good guy!

Fred

Congrats - I also love J-35s. The fun thing about J-35s is that they were all over the place. Different neck profiles and neck heels, some with scallop top bracing others without and so on. While all pre-War Gibson flattops tend to be be unique, the J-35s I have played take the cake.

Archived