Gibson Brands Forums

How to make pedals

Andrew Riggs

Well...have you ever built a pedal before? Majoring in something you have never done is kind of silly or at least have in depth look in, i think you should explore more on what it takes to build pedals. Designing pedals isn't as fun as it seems and takes a very serious knowledge of electrical law and understanding of eletircal ciruts and such. Such would be a field in electrical engineering.

You could major in Electrical Engineering like my Greek brother said or you could find a trade school or electrical engineer to apprentice under. With college you get a full liberal education and degree you can use to jump careers later in life (if you need to). You also get a mound of debt. With trade school or apprenticing, you get just that knowledge and no degree, but a lot less debt and a faster jump on a career.

I'd be kinda surprised if analog mike actually took electronics classes. Kinda like how Hendrix probly never took guitar lessons.

To me, building pedals is a lot about hands on experience. Of course you need some technical knowledge, but you can read some books and get all the info you need. I think most pedal designers just base their designs off concepts they learned from books.

The way to get started would be to make a pedal!

But say you wanted to design a PT2399 based delay. The first thing you'd do is look at the PT2399 data sheet to figure out what other components you need to support this part. Then say you want to add a mix control. You'd study some information that tells you how to design a buffered mix control that does what you're looking for and incorporate that into your circuit, etc.

But first you need to understand the more basic things like off board wiring.

What subjects should I study if I want to make my own pedals...

Don't .... just don't! Walk away, no run away... now. You will drive yourself crazy and make absolutely no money. It's just not worth it. Pedal builders are obsessed dorks who are on a quest for something they will never achieve. You do not want to join that crew - especially by going to college first. Get a degree in something useful like marketing. [biggrin]

What subjects should I study if I want to make my own pedals like analog mike. What should I major in during college to do that?

Dub builds pedals, as does Bluesguitar, and Surfpup......I don't dare to start building, as I'll get addicted...I've had pedals built for me, including my own designs......

Start by doing research, buy kits, and go from there........Don't expect to make money; expect to spend money........................

Who is "analog mike" ?????

Archived