Gibson Brands Forums

Any advice on keeping nails their best ?

EuroAussie

Since I got into pickin' few months back Ive been experimenting with nail length, shape and filing them to keep em' strong.

It seems to be quite a success as in the beginning they broke easily, but now have had no breaks for a few months. I find the length that seems to work is around 2-3mm of visible nail over the fingertips, looking from the palm point of view.

Anwyay, I wanted to ask if there are any specific tips in keeping nails at their best, in terms of products, lotions etc ..?

btw: Mrs EA thinks Ive turned into a bit of a fairy, especially when we sit on sofa and both file our nails at same time ..

So ... do you feel a bit less of a man having long nails and all the girlie things that need to be done to keep em strong, should I be worried and see a shrink or something ... ? [blink]

I use the Sally Hansen "Triple Strong" nail epoxy. Two coats and it really is hard as nails. The problem with doing your nails like this is they end up being quite shiny. So when I'm using the stuff, after it has fully cured, I'll buff them with some 0000 steel wool until they are a matte finish. Then they look just like the other nails (if not a little longer).

I went down the grow nails route about 3 months ago.

Followed the James Taylor video.. bought the false fiber strips/ glue ect and proceeded to give my self a nail job B)

The tone I got from the nails was nice... I have played using my flesh for most of my guitar playing life.. but for some stuff.. muffled blues bass drone for example.. the nails seemed to give too bright a tone..and got in the way.

Long story short... the nails ended up black with dirt.. and I looked like Freddy Gruger..( I mean the full nail turned black..I live in the country and have to work with my hands often wooding and stuff ) I got some funny looks from a few women..

Anyway tried it for a month or so and thought feck that...its a lot of hassle redoing them and I'm back to good old flesh..with a lil bit of nail if needed.

Archived