Gibson Brands Forums

PSY - GANGNAM STYLE (강남스타일) M/V

Searcy

Interesting...

Note that the Hangul has three syllables for the word "style." <grin> Technically they read - if not part of a word - Suh-Stah-Eel. Or "Eer," given that a "Lee-air" in the alphabet stands for either "L" and "R" sounds.

m

Interesting...

Note that the Hangul has three syllables for the word "style." <grin> Technically they read - if not part of a word - Suh-Stah-Eel. Or "Eer," given that a "Lee-air" in the alphabet stands for either "L" and "R" sounds.

m

Yes! Phonetically spelling English words with Hangul. As a joke my wife will pronounce words like they are written in Hangul. Very funny.

Evol...

Yupper...

One time in Seoul a friend asked me to read the sign on a store.

Your wife will love this one.

It read, as remember the way I tried to transliterate the Hangul, "Gol-up-uh Ee-koo-Ee-puh-muhn-tuh"

Yup, "Golf Equipment." <Chortle>

Hey, at least I could always find a dabang... I gave up on trying to pronounce the Korean for "toilet" not only because of the difficulty, but because anywhere I went in Korea they knew "toilet" as well as "beer" or "Kopee," both of which increase the use of the other word. <grin>

All kidding aside, I think anyone interested even in learning English well should learn Hangul. It really taught me a lot about how modern English ignores some realities of pronunciation. Different in different English dialects, but the general rule that we ignore those realities remains true.

m

Archived