Gibson Brands Forums

Son finds a good one !

duluthdan

Son went for a long picture taking drive today, ended up in a teeny weeny town, and showed up back at home 9 hours later - Colorado's a big state - and I find him strumming this little number down in the garage. Its an L-1 (1948??? Numbers inside 7643 24)

No Cracks - anywhere. Replaced tuner buttons, and the thru saddle is replaced by a drop-in, with very little left on it, so neck reset may be in the future - how lon is anyones guess. But it plays and sounds flippin fantastic ! He'll be up all night tryin' to learn the blues...

L-1_zps8cf7cd37.jpg

FON says 1951. Model will be determined by checking to see if top is x-braced or ladder-braced, but it is either LG-1 or LG-2.

Looks very nice!

Glad to see your son appear to be a chip off the old block. I hope he pursues the search for veritas as part of his life's mission.

FON says 1951. Model will be determined by checking to see if top is x-braced or ladder-braced, but it is either LG-1 or LG-2.

Looks very nice!

Glad to see your son appear to be a chip off the old block. I hope he pursues the search for veritas as part of his life's mission.

If that's an LG2...the boy's got bucks!

Here are more images of the guitar my son brought back from a little road trip. Met a girl at a sunglasses shop too, life is good. Now has almost, I think, as many guitars as I do. [scared] Tuner buttons will need replacing, and that saddle is a sure sign the neck will need a reset sometime - but for right now, sweet little number. How to more closely ID the year? The owner said 1948 - but he was not the original owner, but a small guitar shop guy. Son says he has more old Gibsons, I smell a joint road trip comin' up... [thumbup]

SonsLG-1Find_zps4b412963.jpg

Here are more images of the guitar my son brought back from a little road trip. Met a girl at a sunglasses shop too, life is good. Now has almost, I think, as many guitars as I do. [scared] Tuner buttons will need replacing, and that saddle is a sure sign the neck will need a reset sometime - but for right now, sweet little number. How to more closely ID the year? The owner said 1948 - but he was not the original owner, but a small guitar shop guy. Son says he has more old Gibsons, I smell a joint road trip comin' up... [thumbup]

My link

This is the major site I use for dating vintage Gibsons. It is not perfect, but it is pretty good. Click on "serial numbers and factory order numbers, all instruments (how to find the year)."

It takes a little bit of time it understand how it is organized, but I refer to this website constantly. Don't know who the guy is who put it together, but he knows a lot!

Gibson FON's for 1951 run from the 6000's through the 9000's. In the case of your son's guitar, 7643 is the batch number, and 24 is the sequence number within the batch.

My old J-45, for example, has the FON 3644 8. The 3644 puts the guitar either as 1948 or 1950, which is the reason I usually refer to it as a 1948-1950 J-45.

Nice find. No center back strip so it be an LG-1 for sure.

That guitar and and what Rev. Davis called a sporting right hand will bring the blues home. Then again, if your right hand knows what to do any guitar will get you there. If your right hand ain't got it then it also don't matter what you play cuz as the song says it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that wsing.

Archived