Gibson Brands Forums

Film remakes.

LT ED

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-469-with-the-lightnings.aspx?__utma=222178315.1866878473.1348693242.1348693242.1348693242.1&__utmb=222178315.2.10.1348693242&__utmc=222178315&__utmx=-&__utmz=222178315.1348693242.1.1.utmcsr=bing|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=baen%20free%20library&__utmv=-&__utmk=211020566

My understanding is this is available on commercial formats and print - or in some basic computer stuff in the free libe.

I started with the book-books in this batch, then later on when Baen Books developed the "free library," I added electronic versions at home. The "pay" electronic versions are in formats nobody thought about much 15 years ago or so.

On this first book, think the era of initial exploration of the world and internal politics at home in England during the 1500s. Then you have their longtime "enemy" Spain, etc.

Drake is, IMHO, an exceptional writer who has done everything from what I'd call dumb gut military fiction to some pretty neat explorative sci fi with strong historical "what ifs" that I find neat.

Of course, I'm a little prejudiced, he was smarter and got his degree about when I should have gotten mine some 50 or so miles apart at about the same time. I learned typewriting, he _wrote!_

m

Pshaww....

"English vocabular diarrhea" is what JRRT does best.

Bloody Philistine.

[lol]

P.

I have to say I agree with cabba... if they had made the book directly into a film it would have been eleven hours long and had hour long poetry readings and probably been the most boring film ever lol

I think thats the issue with making a film like that.. You cant please everyone, but as they are I think Peter Jackson did the best job possible..

I think the difficulty comes when one has expectations of this or that after reading a novel. To fit into about two hours what a book puts into 10 or more for a fast reader is an unrealistic expectation.

So... I wonder whether the "inspired by" might be a better tag.

OTOH, as I said, short stories and novellas often can make a pretty nice movie that pretty well follows the original. The problem with that then comes with whether some readers can match their imagery with what's on film or not.

I just try to enjoy a film for what it is.

m

I know its a classic.. BUT I was also thinking Flash Gordon would be a great re-make.. The original was great but just like one of the campest things ever made lol. A serious version that follows the same story could be cool.

If they did re-do it. Id say keep the Queen soundtrack though. Thats one of the best things about that film.

Same could be said for Highlander (not that its camp) but another great film that I think could be re-done well and again keep the Queen soundtrack :)

Actually Buster Crabbe did Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers in movie serials.

Crabbe was an exceptional swimmer before he became an actor. He competed in two Olympic Games. In 1928, he won the bronze medal for the 1,500 meter freestyle, and 1932, he won the gold medal for the 400 meter freestyle. Besides the sci fi guys, he also played a movie Tarzan in the 30s.

Yeah, I remember watching them when I was a kid.

m

Actually Buster Crabbe did Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers in movie serials.

Crabbe was an exceptional swimmer before he became an actor. He competed in two Olympic Games. In 1928, he won the bronze medal for the 1,500 meter freestyle, and 1932, he won the gold medal for the 400 meter freestyle. Besides the sci fi guys, he also played a movie Tarzan in the 30s.

Yeah, I remember watching them when I was a kid.

m

LOL so do I.. but im talking about the 80s movie which I assume then you havent seen? :)

it was a great film.. but soooo cheesy :)

Yeah, I saw some of the stuff about Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers made more or less during the disco era. No thanks. I can't even watch the silly stuff on television without rapidly switching channels.

OTOH, the disappointing response - and overdone special effects - of John Carter of Mars shows me that it seems this sort of material either ends up a parody (intentional or otherwise) or rather sadly a film with little audience overdone in hopes of finding one.

m

Yeah, I saw some of the stuff about Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers made more or less during the disco era. No thanks. I can't even watch the silly stuff on television without rapidly switching channels.

OTOH, the disappointing response - and overdone special effects - of John Carter of Mars shows me that it seems this sort of material either ends up a parody (intentional or otherwise) or rather sadly a film with little audience overdone in hopes of finding one.

m

Haha.. well you always talk about what it was like when you were young and your talking about my childhood now as I was born in the early 70s... So as much as I can see that they are cheesey I love me some disco and I loved watching Buck Rodgers as a kid (and yes that was totally Disco influenced).. BUT they had their charms aswell if you can get over that fact :)

just to prove the point :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJkbVAs8rjo

And yes I totally agree.. John Carter was lame... But thats what happens when Disney get their hands on it.. The whole thing reminded me of the new Star Wars films which were all about silly characters that they can then make into toys and sell.. Sad really, it had the potential to be a really great film.

I think the 80s had a lot of cheesy stuff for "kids" in the same way that the 50s did. Some reeeeally bad movies, although with different sorts of themes to "fit" with the perceived youth audience.

Like... in the 50s and early '60s there were a lotta stupid low-budget "horror" movies designed IMHO so the girls at the drive-in movies could pretend they were scared so they'd have an excuse to cuddle up to the guys who weren't sure enough of themselves to cuddle up to the girls. <grin>

m

Like... in the 50s and early '60s there were a lotta stupid low-budget "horror" movies designed IMHO so the girls at the drive-in movies could pretend they were scared so they'd have an excuse to cuddle up to the guys who weren't sure enough of themselves to cuddle up to the girls. <grin>

m

That's solid entertainment value right there.

Archived