Gibson Brands Forums

strings for tuning down?

blindboygrunt

i suffer a bit from too tight a grip on the fretboard , which like EA's capo , tends to pull the string a bit sharp . i have noticed its worse as i hav tuned the guitar down half a step .

now i know you can get strings that are low tension to help with bends and so on , is there such a thing as strings that work the opposite ?

edit : i am experimenting with 11's at the present time , which again emphasises this more than my usual 12's

but its just a thought :)

Any of us who press down hard (I have never been accused of having a light touch) when they play will tell you that this is actually pretty normal. Digging in hard tends to make the notes intially sound a bit sharp as they are vibrating faster. As the note decays the intonation sounds more spot on.

You might try playing closer to the bridge and see if this helps. But other than learning how to play with a lighter attack the best thing to do is go have the guitar set up for they way you play.

is it not more tension needed ??

sorry , cant get head round it

Aha, you wanted the other way round. Try Elxirs, I found they have much more tension than standard strings, the downside is they sound crap, at least to my ears.

yep, my understanding is if you tune down go up with string diameter. 12s should be fine.

In regard to elixers, I actually experience the opposite, they seem easier to play, less friction and squeak. They also take a few days of hard playing to break in and mellow out a bit.

Archived