Gibson Brands Forums

Wildkat... Wow!!

verhfrank

I finally pulled the trigger on a transparent orange WildKat and... man o' man!! Out of the box I took it to a gig that night thinking I'd use it for a song or two, just to get an idea... Well, we did five sets and I never touched my Strat or my Dot (ouch!) This is indeed one of the best guitar purchases I've ever made! The guys in the band loved it ('sounds 'brattier' than the Dot... cool') and I got looks from patrons all night ('what the *&%$ is that!?'). The only complaint I have is that, with more aggressive picking the E-string keeps slipping out of the saddle. Would a string tree take care of that? Is it common to change out the bridge and replace it with a roller-type bridge? Someone here also mentioned replacing the nut with a Graphtech type nut... This is actually my first P-90 Bigsby-equipped guitar and I feel like a complete novice. But I do believe I'm hooked! Anyone considering one of these, I say 'go for it!' You will not regret it!

Thanks guys! Gotta' go play now!...

An orange one; new ??

Got mine last year on special order from Sweetwater

Verhfrank, congrats on the 'Kat. They really are great guitars for the money. I've not had any of the issues you describe, but then again, I'm not a real agressive "picker". I have 3 guitars with Bigsby's and none have a roller bridge. I don't have any tuning issues with any of them either.

Damian, mine is 'almost' new. The guy I bought it from bought it new and never played. He 'plugged it in a few times at his smoke-free home' but otherwise had it in the case, untouched. I tend to believe him based on the immaculate condition of the guitar. I know the orange ones are hard to find and I feel fortunate to have found one though, based on the reviews this guitar has gotten, I would have settled for pretty much any color. Dennis, thanks for the feedback. I'm not an overly aggressive picker either and the tuning is not necessarily an issue. There were a couple of times though when the high E-string did slip out of the notch. My immediate thought was to install a string tree hoping that may solve the issue. However, if I should have to adjust my technique somewhat it will still be worth it. This guitar is just too good to let that become a hindrance.

Hi Alan, I did run across your WildKat review prior to buying. As a matter of fact, your to-the-point, concise review was what finally clinched the deal for me and I thank you for that! Apparently I am not the only one who thought so either... I've still got a little way to go before I get completely comfortable with the guitar but I must say that the master volume and where it is situated is a stroke of genius! My pinky reaches around just fine, even for minute adjustments!

Aren't they just the greatest geet? Glad you're happy with yours. I had never had a guitar with p90s before, but now I'm a convert, 100%. Personally I hadly use the Bigsby, but it is fun having the option. Everything about the Wildkat is great, from the tones to the looks to the price.

I agree, Sada. The option of being able to reach for the Bigsby for some of that Chris Isaac 'wobble' is definitely a plus. And as far as the P 90's are concerned, count me also as converted! The perfect blend of crunch and single-coil sparkle. I am a life-long Strat player but the band I'm currently in requires some beefier tones so my Dot with SD 59's was put into action. Still, I missed that glassy high end. But now I think I've found a compromise I'm happy with. Gordy, the graphite nut seemed like a sensible mod to me also. I'll be looking at the GraphTech site later on tonight. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I got G.A.S. again...and been debating on the SG PRO or Firebird...till I saw this post!

:rolleyes:

Looked at some clips on youtube...and what a beautiful axe. First thing I thought was Stray Cat Strut! Definatley that Brian Setzer vibe...but saw some guys doing blues, rock..and even

metal licks! [crying]

Ive had 335's before..but always thought they were kinds "big". this looks perfect size...more a george thorogood vibe...and then the bigsby. Ive never tried one...but they seem cool.

and most off all...they are so inexpensive! [thumbup]

I got G.A.S. again...and been debating on the SG PRO or Firebird...till I saw this post!

:rolleyes:

Looked at some clips on youtube...and what a beautiful axe. First thing I thought was Stray Cat Strut! Definatley that Brian Setzer vibe...but saw some guys doing blues, rock..and even

metal licks! [crying]

Ive had 335's before..but always thought they were kinds "big". this looks perfect size...more a george thorogood vibe...and then the bigsby. Ive never tried one...but they seem cool.

and most off all...they are so inexpensive! [thumbup]

Just pull the trigger. You will NOT regret it, especially at the current price. This guitar is just a winner.

Just got my Wildkat today....I had a long wait for it, but it was well worth it. Sounds great and looks great too. Just have an issue with the tuning when using the tremolo, even gently, it does lose it's tuning. Any ideas about sorting this? I've put graphite on the saddle slots and on the trem where the strings glide under the bar, but need to do more. I reckon a roller bridge has to bet he way forward!

Just got my Wildkat today....I had a long wait for it, but it was well worth it. Sounds great and looks great too. Just have an issue with the tuning when using the tremolo, even gently, it does lose it's tuning. Any ideas about sorting this? I've put graphite on the saddle slots and on the trem where the strings glide under the bar, but need to do more. I reckon a roller bridge has to bet he way forward!

Congrats on the new 'Kat. Pics?

As for the tuning issue, you might want to also try some graphite in the nut as well. I've never had a tuning issue with mine, or the other two guitars I have with Bigsby's so what do I know? [biggrin]

I finally pulled the trigger on a transparent orange WildKat and... man o' man!! Out of the box I took it to a gig that night thinking I'd use it for a song or two, just to get an idea... Well, we did five sets and I never touched my Strat or my Dot (ouch!) This is indeed one of the best guitar purchases I've ever made! The guys in the band loved it ('sounds 'brattier' than the Dot... cool') and I got looks from patrons all night ('what the *&%$ is that!?'). The only complaint I have is that, with more aggressive picking the E-string keeps slipping out of the saddle. Would a string tree take care of that? Is it common to change out the bridge and replace it with a roller-type bridge? Someone here also mentioned replacing the nut with a Graphtech type nut... This is actually my first P-90 Bigsby-equipped guitar and I feel like a complete novice. But I do believe I'm hooked! Anyone considering one of these, I say 'go for it!' You will not regret it!

Thanks guys! Gotta' go play now!...

WHERE WOULD ONE GO TO GET ONE OF THESE ORANGE WILDKATS?

Congrats on the new 'Kat. Pics?

As for the tuning issue, you might want to also try some graphite in the nut as well. I've never had a tuning issue with mine, or the other two guitars I have with Bigsby's so what do I know? [biggrin]

Another simple trick is to use only one or two turns around the tuning peg. If you use more, there's an opportunity for slippage. Also, make sure you stretch out your strings well whenever you put on a new set.

If none of these help, you likely have a nut slot that's binding.

Archived