Gibson Brands Forums

bought an Epi Dot

20_Gauge

I bought a (used-excellent condition)Epi Dot last Sunday, wasn't plannin' for this to be my next guitar(was gonna get a Tele), but I came accrosed this Worn Dot Studio on eBay for $179 & I couldn't pass it up. This is my first guitar w/ 2 pickups, soa any advice(regarding this guitar) would be welcome & appreciated.

A good deal at that price... [thumbup]

Suggest it be played to become acclimatized

Then consider wiring and/or P/U upgrade

Or leave as is like many folks do...

V

:-({|=

Thanks for response, V.

Yeah I understand I just need to pay it to become familiar w/ it. I was just lookin' for maybe some tips or personal experiences from someone who owns a Dot.

I bought a (used-excellent condition)Epi Dot last Sunday, wasn't plannin' for this to be my next guitar(was gonna get a Tele), but I came accrosed this Worn Dot Studio on eBay for $179 & I couldn't pass it up. This is my first guitar w/ 2 pickups, soa any advice(regarding this guitar) would be welcome & appreciated.

Enjoy it. If it plays nice. They are great guitars and that is a great price unless it's broken. Congrats!

There are some variations through the years between the Dot and Dot Studio. It appears from various descriptions and reviews there is a bit different wood used in the laminate in relatively recent Studios.

The fact that there are only the pickup switches, a single tone and single volume will make some differences. The uncovered pups may or may not make real difference, depending on who you talk to and depending on the specific pups since my understanding is that at times different pup specs were used on the studios at different times - and different at least at times from the regular Dot.

That said, the concept and size of the studio is functionally the same as the regular Dot. Some folks actually prefer the simplicity of the single volume and tone pots.

Now to playability. Each guitar will a have slightly different feel, but in general the Dot/Gibson 335 specs are pretty comfortable for me personally. But note the "personally." Some don't care for that shape and dimensions.

I also really like the necks in general. I will note that with my body proportions and how I hold a guitar, it feels to me as if the nut is narrower than some others that in theory are the same width. It's me, not the guitar.

Basically the Dot concept is about the best all-around guitar there is. It has a good degree of "woodiness" for jazz with guitar and amp controls adjusted for that - or you can hit heavily on the bridge pup and scream. Or... various combinations of the above work for about any playing in between those extremes.

Again, your studio is a completely different animal than a solidbody and will require different amp settings too.

The studio is at minimum, if in good physical condition, an incredible mod machine if you wanna mess with pups, pots, and other electronic possibilities as well as stuff like bridge and nut materials.

And... frankly if the neck is good on yours, you've got a great bargain on a guitar that's far better than it usually is credited.

Play it; play with various settings, even with different strings.

m

Enjoy it. If it plays nice. They are great guitars and that is a great price unless it's broken. Congrats!

Thanks Crow. The eBay listing for this Dot said it's in excellent shape cosmetically w/ no playability issues. Sounds like a steal.

There are some variations through the years between the Dot and Dot Studio. It appears from various descriptions and reviews there is a bit different wood used in the laminate in relatively recent Studios.

The fact that there are only the pickup switches, a single tone and single volume will make some differences. The uncovered pups may or may not make real difference, depending on who you talk to and depending on the specific pups since my understanding is that at times different pup specs were used on the studios at different times - and different at least at times from the regular Dot.

That said, the concept and size of the studio is functionally the same as the regular Dot. Some folks actually prefer the simplicity of the single volume and tone pots.

Now to playability. Each guitar will a have slightly different feel, but in general the Dot/Gibson 335 specs are pretty comfortable for me personally. But note the "personally." Some don't care for that shape and dimensions.

I also really like the necks in general. I will note that with my body proportions and how I hold a guitar, it feels to me as if the nut is narrower than some others that in theory are the same width. It's me, not the guitar.

Basically the Dot concept is about the best all-around guitar there is. It has a good degree of "woodiness" for jazz with guitar and amp controls adjusted for that - or you can hit heavily on the bridge pup and scream. Or... various combinations of the above work for about any playing in between those extremes.

Again, your studio is a completely different animal than a solidbody and will require different amp settings too.

The studio is at minimum, if in good physical condition, an incredible mod machine if you wanna mess with pups, pots, and other electronic possibilities as well as stuff like bridge and nut materials.

And... frankly if the neck is good on yours, you've got a great bargain on a guitar that's far better than it usually is credited.

Play it; play with various settings, even with different strings.

m

Thanks for the great info, milod.

This listing says it's a 2008 Dot Studio & has no playability issues.

Great... you did get a bargain.

I'd recommend at this point that you mess with it and the amp to get a couple of different sounds that you'd like. I've had my Dot for a cupla years and still haven't found the really "woody blues" sound I know it's capable of. But then... I've mostly been playing other stuff on it that I did find good amp and guitar settings for.

I really think the Dot probably could be considered one of the most versatile of electric guitars. It ain't a Tele, but you can still get plenty of bite; it ain't a big hollowbody Jazz box but it can get a pretty nice jazzy sound... and darned near anything in between.

May you have as much good luck playing it as you did in finding a good bargain instrument.

m

Great... you did get a bargain.

I'd recommend at this point that you mess with it and the amp to get a couple of different sounds that you'd like. I've had my Dot for a cupla years and still haven't found the really "woody blues" sound I know it's capable of. But then... I've mostly been playing other stuff on it that I did find good amp and guitar settings for.

I really think the Dot probably could be considered one of the most versatile of electric guitars. It ain't a Tele, but you can still get plenty of bite; it ain't a big hollowbody Jazz box but it can get a pretty nice jazzy sound... and darned near anything in between.

May you have as much good luck playing it as you did in finding a good bargain instrument.

m

Thanks, milod! [thumbup] Yeah, even to my amateur eyes it looked like a deal I couldn't pass up.

Yeah, a buddy of mine told me a s/h body is a very versatile guitar & that was a big plus. I'm lookin' forward to sitting down & pluggin' it into my Mustang & seein'/hearin' what it has to offer. I'm goin' for that "Tele-style" bite out of it, as I'll be playing mostly Country/Southern Rock.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been lookin' around & wondering about putting p/u covers on my Dot Studio do kinda class up the look(although it looks great now), not sure if I'd actually do it but was just a though. Just want some thoughts/opinions on this, is it difficult to do?

For some reason pickup covers brings up passions as strong as party politics and "my religion is better than yours."

<grin>

Personally, nowadays I'd tend to leave something as is. But that's likely as much laziness as anything.

When I was in my 20s and 30s? That bad boy would have pup covers on it and I'd probably be figuring how to get some sorta inlays into the neck, too.

m

For some reason pickup covers brings up passions as strong as party politics and "my religion is better than yours."

<grin>

Personally, nowadays I'd tend to leave something as is. But that's likely as much laziness as anything.

When I was in my 20s and 30s? That bad boy would have pup covers on it and I'd probably be figuring how to get some sorta inlays into the neck, too.

m

Haha, so topics to avoid in guitar circles are Politics, RReligion, & Pickup Covers?

yeah laziness is my weakness too, that's why if it's a complicated process I'll forget about it.

I'm usually of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it/mess with it" train of thought but I've noticed other Gibson s/h bodies in Country videos w/ covers & got to thinkin' my Worn Cherry Dot would look good w/ some dark(blackish/grey) covers. The kinda dig the plain black neck, fits the look(my opinion).

Here's a link to the Epi site/owner's manual. Good setup info, etc.

http://images.epiphone.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Media/Manuals/EpiOwnrsManul.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my hands on my DOT & seein' it for the first time, I was ecstatic about how good it looks(was kinda leery about the worn cherry finish & this was my first major purchase off eBay). The only thing it was missing was a knob/cap on the rhythm/treble switch($5 no big deal).

Went to tune it(w/ the strings it came equipped with) & discovered the A string buzzed, I think it looks like it's hittin' on the 1st or 2nd fret(@ the base of the neck). Gonna pout on some new strings & see if that doesn't take care of it.

If it doesn't, is there anything I could adjust(noticed tiny screws on the bridge) to raise the string or should I just take it to my local George's Music & ask their guitar dude?

Thanks

Congratulations! But I don't see any pics. And you know what that means don't you??

The tiny screws on the bridge are for setting the intonation. The two screws on each side of the bridge are for raising/lowering the bridge.

There are quite a few reasons you could be getting that buzz; fret is not level, TR needs adustment, string is sitting too low in nut, action is too low for setup, etc..

The best advice I can give you is to purchase Dan Erlewine's latest edition of the Guitar Player Repair Guide. ---> http://www.amazon.com/The-Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide/dp/0879309210

That book will help you with so many things. If you want to DIY, it's a must-have. [thumbup][biggrin]

Very nice!! [thumbup]

I would recommend getting that book first. It will have a lot things you can try, and will explain them much better than I could here.

Have you taken a close look at the nut? Does the A string look to be sitting correctly in the nut slot. Or is it too low? Check that out first.

If the original plastic nut is still on there, there is a chance the string could have sawed its way into it some. I recommend replacing the nut when you have time. Dan's book explains how to do this well.

You can also use a credit card to check the height of the frets. Place the card on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets. Slide it. Does it rock, or sit level? This should help you to find out if the frets are level or not. You may find the 2nd fret is higher than the first fret. Or the 3rd higher than the 2nd. This could cause the buzz.

Look at your neck. Hold it up and look down it (like you maybe would a 20 gauge), Does the neck look fairly straight? If it has a bow in it, than this could be the cause. And that would facilitate a truss rod adjustment.

Get that book, and it will explain in much better detail all the stuff I have tried to explain.

Best of luck.

And have fun playing that cool Dot! [biggrin]

Very nice!! [thumbup]

I would recommend getting that book first. It will have a lot things you can try, and will explain them much better than I could here.

Have you taken a close look at the nut? Does the A string look to sitting correctly in the nut slot. Or is it too low? Check that out first.

If the original plastic nut is still on there, there is a chance the string could have sawed its way into it some. I recommend replacing the nut when you have time. Dan's book explains how to do this well.

You can also use a credit card to check the height of the frets. Place the card on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets. Slide it. Does it rock, or sit level? This should help you to find out if the frets are level or not. You may find the 2nd fret is higher than the first fret. Or the 3rd higher than the 2nd. This could cause the buzz.

Look at your neck. Hold it up and look down it (like you maybe would a 20 gauge), Does the neck look fairly straight? If it has a bow in it, than this could be the cause. And that would facilitate a truss rod adjustment.

Get that book, and it will explain in much better detail all the stuff I have tried to explain.

Best of luck.

And have fun playing that cool Dot! [biggrin]

Thanks brad!

Will get the book asap.

The first thing I did when I unpacked it was take a close look @ the neck, it looks straight to me. Will check the frets & the nut.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks brad!

Will get the book asap.

The first thing I did when I unpacked it was take a close look @ the neck, it looks straight to me. Will check the frets & the nut.

Thanks for the info!

Glad I could help. [biggrin]

Perfect guitar to learn to do a setup on! Or upgrades if you want. It should rock/jazz/or whatever you want after that. Looks real nice, too, even with the uncovered p/ups. ;-)

Like milod said, the 335 style is incredibly versatile, it's probably my overall favorite guitar even over a tele. :e The shorter neck scale is an often overlooked aspect that really seals the deal for me over teles (which I also love). It's just so comfortable to play. Every time I go back to my 335 after playing my tele for a few months it feels like "coming home." Something about the body size, the resonance, the honkiness that can be toned down and muted for jazz - it just seems like the perfect guitar, at least for me, and it's really surprising how many sounds you can coax out of it.

Looks like you got a good deal, so have fun! :-)

Archived