Gibson Brands Forums

Amp settings for new player???

kissfreakmike

I bought a new LP (New Player} and a Fender Hot Rod III Amp. Needless to say it is loud!!! How do I set the Amp and settings to get a sound like KISS and not be SOOOO loud as to dissrupt the neighbors at the same time???

If turning the gain up and the Master volume down still results in it being too loud you will probably need to get a good overdrive or distortion pedal. There are more types of these things than you can imagine. Anything from like $50 bucks to hundreds.

One of the most popular OD pedals is an Ibanez Tube Screamer but it may not do what you want. Do you have a local big box store near you like Guitar Center? Even they do not carry all the stuff that is out there. I own three different distortion pedals for different tones and there are others I'd like to own as well.

Welcome to the quest for the ultimate tone. You seem to have a great platform to work with.

A hot rod amp is no neihbour friendly amp mate.... Your power amp will not even start to drive any saturation into your tone at low levels.....A pedal will sound ok but that's no use for a Hot rod.....You want a little tube amp for home...Then you'll have saturated tone and then a pedal to change up.... [lol]

Get yourself an attenuator like this one below.

you put it between the amp and the speaker, you can now crank the amp as hard as you want.

That way the power tubes do what their supposed to do and you can then take the sound volume to a whisper

m_mass-front.jpg

I have used and kinda like attenuatores but they do change your tone and touch. I kike how how a good OD pedal works better than an attentuator. Just my opinion and I sure there are other players that swear by them.

Get yourself an attenuator like this one below.

you put it between the amp and the speaker, you can now crank the amp as hard as you want.

That way the power tubes do what their supposed to do and you can then take the sound volume to a whisper

m_mass-front.jpg

I have exactly this weber attenuator, I also use dist & OD pedals with it. The weber attenuators make very little difference to tone or response ,to my ear anyway! The mass range not only has the usual resistive attenuator but also an active speaker motor so that the resistance to the speaker is reactive to input from the amp. This seems to make the signal to the speaker much more natural.

Archived