Gibson Brands Forums

Help spotting fake

Quantum

Hello, I want to purchase this guitar but the seller took it into Guitar Center and they told him it was a fake. With all my fake knowledge i can't help but think this is actually a real Custom job. I know it can be forged but the serial number checks out here: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Also, truss rod cover has 2 screws, not 3. The logo is damn near perfect. Even if it's a fake, it still plays really well - so I am curious. Could the cat at Guitar Center be wrong? Thanks in advance!

post-47979-009892400 1350420125_thumb.jpg

post-47979-004559400 1350420131_thumb.jpg

post-47979-068691000 1350420136_thumb.jpg

post-47979-034885000 1350420142_thumb.jpg

post-47979-083746100 1350420147_thumb.jpg

The first thing that usually hits me with fakes are the shapes and contours of a guitar's body, cutaway(s), and headstock. It took less than a second for me to look at the cutaway on this guitar and notice that it was off. That's all it really takes, even if there are other red flags.

Good on you for looking for other opinions and doing your homework.

I want to add, that there are a certain type of "fake" Gibson that is made specifically to fool poeple for the purpose of ripping them off. They aren't made to be good guitars, or provide value for money, and they aren't made to even fool experts. This looks like one of these.

I think if you compare THIS guitar quality wise using standards of what makes a guitar good or bad, you will likely be better putting your money elsewhere and get a better guitar. As for the features that make it seem "nice", and buying something that may LOOK like a Gibson, it isn't fooling anyone. It's so easy to spot that what you will have paid for is what LOOKS like a imitation, not something that looks like a Gibson.

Took me 2 seconds to judge it a phony. Overall shape of the body and headstock is totally off. A little thing however that trussrod cover is phony too. Notice it says Les Paul CUSTOM on it.........Gibson doesn't make a cheap look-alike trussrod cover like this one! Small thing but it just points to the lack of attention that a true Gibson Les Paul Custom would not have. Did they give you any idea of what this guitar was worth out of curiosity? jim at Tinker AFB Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Except for the price that was most likely around $300 in USA dollars which of course would be the ultimate giveaway.......jim

I've seen them cheaper than that- and that being "new" from whoever.

It is hard to give or know a "retail" price vs a "distributer" price, because the ONLY way to obtain these is illegally-that is, on a black market. The places that make, sell, and distribute them are NOT doing so legally, so there isn't a legitimate price that could be attached.

So, seeing them from a "source" you have to question them right off-as in, NOTHING they offer can be trusted. BUT- seeing them so cheap kinda tells you something about the quality of the merchandice.

Archived