Gibson Brands Forums

new 339 ultra fret buzz

spunge_mad

First of all I'm new so Hi everyone! :)

Yesterday I bought a new epiphone 339 ultra from a Dawsons Music (UK). I think I was a bit blinded by the awesome looks of the guitar as now that I'm home I've realised it's got some terrible fret buzz going on, on all but the 1st and 2nd strings from fret 5/7 onwards, it's not particularly subtle an sounds terrible when played through an amp.

This is the best guitar I've got and I feel really disappointed with the problems, and I don't really know what to do. I know that it could just be due to a bad set up, but after a bit of research this problem seems to be quite common with this particular model. Maybe I was Nieve but I expected everything to be set-up properly out of the shop.

So, what should I do, should I contact Gibson, would the fix be covered by the warranty? or should I get it set up professionally (I don't feel confident fiddling round with such an expensive instrument!) or would a service from anywhere that isn't "Gibson Authorised" void the warranty?

I travelled a bit to get the guitar from the shop (it was the nearest in stock) so taking it back to the dealer isn't ideal, though it could be done in a few months if it's the only resort.

thanks, I hope someone can offer some advice

First of all I'm new so Hi everyone! :)

Yesterday I bought a new epiphone 339 ultra from a Dawsons Music (UK). I think I was a bit blinded by the awesome looks of the guitar as now that I'm home I've realised it's got some terrible fret buzz going on, on all but the 1st and 2nd strings from fret 5/7 onwards, it's not particularly subtle an sounds terrible when played through an amp.

This is the best guitar I've got and I feel really disappointed with the problems, and I don't really know what to do. I know that it could just be due to a bad set up, but after a bit of research this problem seems to be quite common with this particular model. Maybe I was Nieve but I expected everything to be set-up properly out of the shop.

So, what should I do, should I contact Gibson, would the fix be covered by the warranty? or should I get it set up professionally (I don't feel confident fiddling round with such an expensive instrument!) or would a service from anywhere that isn't "Gibson Authorised" void the warranty?

I travelled a bit to get the guitar from the shop (it was the nearest in stock) so taking it back to the dealer isn't ideal, though it could be done in a few months if it's the only resort.

thanks, I hope someone can offer some advice

Yeah id say the best option is to try a Pro set up first if you dont want to try it yourself.. I think they are about 50 quid or so.. Its better than the months and months it would take to send it back (if indeed they would take it back for that reason).

Really the shop you bought it from should have done a set up.... But there you go :) (we all get over excited in the shop sometimes, it happens :)) I also want a guitar of that shape (if I can ever afford one id like a 336).. I really want one of the new Midtown P90s.

I have the ES 339 Pro. I have had it since May. When I first got it the strings buzzed when I played way up high on the neck. I figured I'd take it in to my local guitar shop and have it setup properly, but after a few weeks of playing the buzz dissappeared. I think the frets were not set all the way in in a few spots and after a little play they were fine. I know it should not be that way, but for the price the guitar is quite nice. I'm happy with the feel and sound. Looks are secondary. I bought mine as a backup guitar. I have 78 Les Paul Deluxe and I just don't want to play it out all the time. I find myself playing this Epiphone all the time.

By the way I have heard local guitar shops say they are dissappointed with both Gibson and Fender because they almost always have to re-setup the guitars when they receive them. They say the quality is just not what it used to be.

I bought one of these damned things in the UK last year. It had the same issue, plus the wiring fault. I can usually achieve a satisfactory set-up myself, but I couldn't with this guitar. I took it back to the dealer and after 30 minutes their Tech had reduced the buzzing to the E and A strings 7th fret upwards. Frankly, I have had several Epiphones with buzz/rattle on E and A strings and I was willing to put up with it. It went back to a Gibson repairs contractor and was no better set up when it came back. I still own it, but don't play it as much as my other guitars.

I do wish I'd spent a bit more and got a Midtown. The build quality is loads better and dealers were selling them around £900 at one point. Resale value will be better too. Like a fool, I paid £549 for my Ultra 339, I'd be lucky to get £250 for it now.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

I think I'll leave it for a few weeks, see if it improves.

Then either take it back to the shop (they said they would set it up up and restring it when it needed it, pity they didn't do it before though :P) or get it set up professionally somewhere local(depending on how much it costs).

If worst comes to worst and it never improves I'll just return it back to the shop (or see if they can get it sent back to Gibson/an authorised service centre) :(

I really hope it ends up improving I'm in love with the thing! haha

It's pretty disheartening knowing that there's a chance it'll never be perfect though, for me this is super expensive, can't believe that such a basic thing is wrong.

thanks again, really appreciate the help :)

The "fret buzz" problem should definitely be covered under warantee - bring it back to the shop where you got it and have them set it up properly or replace it with one that's set up and plays properly. At the very least call them right away, tell them what's going on and have the problem(s)documented, so when you do get a chance to get back there, they will take care of you. Just for the record, the guitar travels quite a way from the factory through different temperature and humidity conditions - a proper set up at the factory doesn't guarantee that the guitar will arrive at it's destination in the same condition. This being said it's probably not much more than a truss rod tweak (maybe a quarter turn looser to give a little neck relief). Also as mentioned above it's possible that one or more of those upper frets need to be seated (this is probably less likely, but still a possibility). Good Luck

The "fret buzz" problem should definitely be covered under warantee - bring it back to the shop where you got it and have them set it up properly or replace it with one that's set up and plays properly. At the very least call them right away, tell them what's going on and have the problem(s)documented, so when you do get a chance to get back there, they will take care of you. Just for the record, the guitar travels quite a way from the factory through different temperature and humidity conditions - a proper set up at the factory doesn't guarantee that the guitar will arrive at it's destination in the same condition. This being said it's probably not much more than a truss rod tweak (maybe a quarter turn looser to give a little neck relief). Also as mentioned above it's possible that one or more of those upper frets need to be seated (this is probably less likely, but still a possibility). Good Luck

Never really thought about the change in condition, makes sense I suppose. At least I know better for my next guitar purchase.

I've noticed that there's buzz from 1-12th fret, It stops completely beyond 12th fret and seems worst from 5th-10thish. To me the pattern seems to suggest a bit of a bend? (but I'm just thinking logically, I have no experience of this type of stuff!)

There is to some extent buzzing on all strings apart from the high E.

I've been thinking some more and I suppose having a trek to the shop may be the best bet. The train tickets would cost less than paying for it to get set up and there's more of a guarantee that it'll be fixed, or they could send it off to get it fixed if need be. I am pretty busy at the mo, so it'll be in a while, but I will ring the shop asap.

cheers

My Es-339 Pro buzzed really bad when I got it. I ended up raising the action a bit on the low strings and then ended up taking it back to the shop to have their tech check it. Problem was that the frets aren't completely level across the entire board. He said I could get another but the chances of it being perfect are slim, and next one might be worse. Or pay $100US for a fret level. I ended up leaving the action higher than as it came, which I have no problem with. Buzz isn't noticeable through amp now, but still is when not plugged in.

In my experience, the worst thing about Epiphones in general is their lack of consistency (it literally took me about 4 years to find an acceptable DOT before I dropped my cash on one - granted I have lots of guitars so there was no rush it's not like I was looking frantically, but each time I saw one in a store I would play it and invariably there was something wrong with it - not necesarrily Epi's fault, some were just damaged, but in many cases they just weren't great guitars...). I think this can be said of any mass produced product regardless of brand. This being said, Epiphone should still be held accountable for their product. I certainly wouldn't go out and spend another $100.00 on a brand new instrument because it's not acceptable off the shelf. I think Epiphone would/should be happy to rectify the problem as opposed to giving the purchaser a full refund. There really is no better way to build brand loyalty than through customer service. With a smile of course... [biggrin]

I've noticed that there's buzz from 1-12th fret, It stops completely beyond 12th fret and seems worst from 5th-10thish. To me the pattern seems to suggest a bit of a bend? (but I'm just thinking logically, I have no experience of this type of stuff!)

There is to some extent buzzing on all strings apart from the high E.

Hard to say without actual hands on, but from this description it sounds like a slight loosening of the truss rod will do the trick. I had a perfectly playing Sheraton earlier this year, but hadn't played it in a few months. I took it out of the case one night last week, and it had a awful buzz the length of the 5th string. Got my small phillips and 4mm driver, and tried an 1/8 loosening of the truss rod. Ahhhh. Much better. FYI, it's been unusually humid this late in the year. My hydrometer is reading 62% and 75F right now in my downstairs office at 22:05.

Same thing with my 339, did a fret leveling job, and played with the action, got her good now, but i hear a lot of buzz problems with the 339's.

Did you get that done by gibson under warranty? and if not, how much did it cost?

I know, I read a bit on epiphone's inconsistent manufacturing online before buying it, but I just couldn't resist!

Did you get that done by gibson under warranty? and if not, how much did it cost?

I know, I read a bit on epiphone's inconsistent manufacturing online before buying it, but I just couldn't resist!

I do my own work, but if you just got the guitar, take it back to them and have their set up guy check your frets, if they need work, they should do it for free, key word being SHOULD..

Archived