Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Standard Problem

CowboyBillyBob1

When I run my finger on the top wood area around the tone control on a Midtown Standard / Bigsby I get a static sound. It only happens in this area of the top though a bit more pronounced around the tone control. It also happens on the back in the area between the plastic control plate and the close edge of the guitar. Also on the side next to the input jack but about an inch away towards the tone control again. Nothing if I touch the metal input jack. This is on the wood area so I am way baffled. Can something in the tone control be short? The fact that it only happens on the wood is way strange to me. Any ideas?

I posted this in Explorers, Firebirds, Flying Vs, and all other Gibson USA models but there is a lot more traffic here. Hope I am not breaking any forum rules.

If it is audible as I understood through your amplifier etc

it is really exceptional case.

I had two times the similar. Both times it there was guilty too cheap (defective)

condenser in a signal chain in the guitar. After condenser replacement this defect disappeared

Answered in your other thread.

I am flabergasted!! I had no idea running around naked would work so well.

Seriously it worked like a charm. I can't thank you enough. I recently cleaned and polished this guitar with Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. I suppose all that buffing caused some static electricity to build up.

Something else I need to keep in my gig bag.

If it is audible as I understood through your amplifier etc

it is really exceptional case.

I had two times the similar. Both times it there was guilty too cheap (defective)

condenser in a signal chain in the guitar. After condenser replacement this defect disappeared

AXE suggested I try some dryer sheets and it worked! Unbelievable but true.

In rubbing the guitar down with the sheet I started to hear something loose inside the guitar. Well last night I fell asleep with the guitar in my hands and I must have dropped this acrylic V-Pick inside the f hole. Shook it out and I think that contributed to the static problem.

All is good here and I got my $5.00 pick back. The NY Giants win and today is just a great day!!

Thanks again AXE. The stuff people say about you is just not true. [wink]

I never thought that it only was a tickle his fingers lightly. Maybe let it be as a know-how?

Gentle massage like acupuncture :lol: can be for the benefit of the fingers in guitar playing.

This was not invented yet in the guitar manufactories :) .

I'm convinced that the plastic parts on new guitars get more "static", or whatever you'd call it, than old plastic parts.

I'm guessing that the older parts discharge the static better when they lose the gloss and get little scratches on them. Seems like new pickguards are worse than older ones.

I'm convinced that the plastic parts on new guitars get more "static", or whatever you'd call it, than old plastic parts.

I'm guessing that the older parts discharge the static better when they lose the gloss and get little scratches on them. Seems like new pickguards are worse than older ones.

I agree with you since this seemd to happen on my new (6 mos. or less) guitars and not n the old ones. Over time I think it will stop happening all together. I was wondering if there was something you could do like put alluminum foil in the control cavities to prevent it from happening.

I lived near the shore my whole life and I never had anything like this happen to any guitar I owned. I have to wartch the humidity here because it can wreak havoc on my precious acoustic guitars. Mt first clue to this humidity problem was when my 20+ year old Strat had its frets protruding out of the sides so much it made the guitar almost unplayable. A humidifier run 24/7 for months cured the problem but what a pain.

Archived