Gibson Brands Forums

Jackson Browne - Version 2 coming!!!

GotTheSilver

I was at the Arlington Guitar Show this weekend and I caught up with Don from Gibson Acoustic. I told him I thought that Gibson Acoustic is making fantastic guitars these days and he said he would take that message back to the people at Bozeman.

While we were talking, he asked if I had played the Jackson Browne that one of the dealers there had. I told him I had and that I really liked it. Then came the news! He said that the JB model is limited to 300 pieces (a fact I did not realize) and that they are close to having made all 300 now. He mentioned that after those 300 are done, they are planning to do a different version of the guitar with mahogany back and sides. It will have some cosmetic differences, also (he did not specify). This new version will not be marketed as a Jackson Browne signature.

This sounds very exciting to me! I have played a couple of JBs and thought they were great - incredible depth and resonance. But I tend to prefer mahogany guitars overall, so this next version could be right up my alley. I'll just have to wait and see...

So the next one will be a Mahogany backed 12- fretter. Wasn't the Roy Smeck reissue mahogany? Limited to 300 ? Total ? There is Model A (with Trance) and Model 1 (sans Trance) . Wonder how many of each? I also wonder if the next ones will have the "Pure Voice" (Trance Audio momo system) instead of the stereo. A bit more user friendly, requiring just a 1/4 jack instead of the five-pin. Innaresting.

Dan I just bought a JB model from music villa I recently posted about a mahogany aj but changed my mind and got a JB without the pickup. How do you find the nut width is it comfortable to play??

Jamie

Short learning curve - its got more foregiving string spacing. The width is wider than any of my other guitars, widest being 1.75, but it must be something about the neckshape, because it doesn't feel bigger, and I've got small hands. Don't let the 1.82, or whatever it is, scare you at all. So far I've limited most of its playing time to my sloppy finger style, and it sounds pretty good to me (and my deaf cat O:)) I love the short scale, and I have to say, after just having played my Martin CSN for 2 hours, if you put a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd keep the JB, its so fun to play, and its resonance (not loudness)is extraordinary.

Do me a favor - when you first get yours, inhale the aroma when you first open the case - the walnut is absolutely dreamy, and then strum a slow Em. Gawd, its a wonderful sound, honest. Let me know your very first impressions.

Mine is set up pretty low, and tuned down a half step, and I tend to play quietly. It'll give me a nice edge when I dig in, and I do have a couple of songs where a wee bit of string distortion (snarl) on the low end is important to the emotion of the song, and the low action is perfect. I'll bet you have a pleasant experience.

I just had a Trance Audio M-V shipped to Music Villa to be installed in the custom SJ that should be rolling off the line in a few weeks - might be a nice option for you to consider for your JB. Not the one I had shipped, of course [-X , but I love the Trance in my Model 1, if for no other reason than it requires a more disciplined playing style. Here's my friend playing it for his first time - not a word about the wider neck at all.

Dan thanks for the quick reply. I'm not much of a fingerstyle player yet. I mostly play country folk bluegrass type music.

I was quite worried that the nut would be large for me so you've calmed that a bit. I will definatly take in the walnut spruce aroma when I open it and the EM is guaranteed.

So what's your tale on the JB as a strummer I know you prefer your j45 but why? Comfort? Btw your JB sounds excellent in that video.

I will be putting in the amulet system as well eventually I'm in no rush as of yet. I would like to get a feel for the guitar first and see if its a keeper. My wife has pretty much shut me down now from buying so anything else I need will be trades or selling lol. Thanks for the response I'm excited and will update

Why do I prefer the J-45 as a strumming machine over the Jackson Browne? The J-45 I have, though only 2 years old, already has battle scars, and doesn't mind a bit of a beating. The JB, on the other hand is in pristine condition, so I'm a bit overly cautious, I suppose, plus it just sort of easily lends itself to being plucked rather than pounded. Plus, my playing style, I rarely use a pick, and my strumming style just hasn't adjusted or translated yet. But, and I say again BUT, I am a long way from being an accomplished player, and that is too long a story to tell. I am confident you will find your new guitar has a voice and a muse all its own, that will give you hours and hours of pleasure.

Archived