Gibson Brands Forums

Beginner looking for his first guitar

johneu94

Hi I have always wanted to learn guitar but never had the chance, don't know why. But right now I sold some stuff and have around 200 dllrs to spend, I always wanted the Epiphone Ej-200 because my favorite artist (Noel Gallager) used it. My question is would the artist signature version be a good guitar to learn to play?

great choice of guitar - especially as Noel started off playing an Epi EJ200 in his early days. I like the artist version because it is more understated. I have a Terada guitar that seems like was made in the 70s in Japan and it is a replica of the Gibson J200 that Noel now plays (when he's not playing his new Martin). The wider neck took a bit of getting used to because i was used to playing an AJ200 (now AJ220) and an AJ100. I would recommend ano of these 3 guitars for starting out as they are all great "bang for buck".

Try a few different guitars if you can at a local store and see which feel more comfortable for you.

I suspect you'll go for a sunburst model like Noel's? I have a soft spot for these as well.

I have made up a few chordbooks for Oasis and Noel stuff and can emaul them your way if you like?

Anyone else is welcome to them as well. i've done a few for Paul Weller, Small Faces, The Beatles and Neil Young as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing a guitar just because someone else plays it is not necessarily a good idea.

The EJ is a BIG guitar. For some folks it is just too big. This one might not fit you. Only a hands on inspection will tell if it fits you.

If you can, learn a few chords then go to a store where you can play them. Strum those few chords at random for say... oh 10 - 15 minutes. See how your body feels about the size of the EJ200 then. Then listen to the guitar's voice. Sadly, most guitar stores' acoustic rooms are full of guitars with rotten strings. They're either worn out, oxidized or replaced with odd ball strings. If the guitar fits you, and the voice is 'almost' there. See if you can convince the acoustic room attendant to either put a new set of strings on the one you like, or if they have a new, in the box, never been played guitar for you to listen to. If you like the voice, then open your wallet.

Also, make sure you understand whether the price includes a case. Epiphones, generally, don't automatically come with cases.

If that pushes the acquisition price to high, see if they have a 'Player Pack'. You will have to settle for a smaller dreadnaught, as super jumbos (EJ) are rarely 'packed'. These packs, generally, include an entry level guitar, case (maybe), strap and other tchotchkes for under a couple hunnert bucks. If you progress with your playing, you will likely want upgrade within a couple years... or less. But, it's a start.

Being that you are really into Noel's stuff just I'd say first song would be to learn to play Live Forever, it's a very easy beginner song and sounds great solo acoustic.

If you think you are truly commited to learning to play then I would say go for either this one -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-aj-220s-acoustic-guitar

or save up some more and get this one -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-hummingbird-artist-acoustic-guitar

Both are solid-wood topped guitar's that will sound so much better than the all laminate wood EJ-200 Artist and will improve in sound with age.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same boat when I was looking for my first acoustic...wanted a ej200. This was back when they were laminate tops and it was just too big and didn't really sound the way it should based on the look. Tested out a masterbilt, dove, and hummingbird, and ended up with the later based on sound alone. liam's guitar...agh!

I gotta encourage ya. Get a guitar and hang in there, keep playin every night. And please listen to TommyK's advice...play a bunch of guitars and get one that fits ya, feels good, and sounds good. You'll trade up as soon as ya get better at it anyway, so don't fret about yer first one too much.

Try Yamahas and Takamines. There are lots of very good beginner-to-intermediate guitars available these days. Just have a good guitar player helping ya decide so you avoid the junk. A bad guitar will discourage you when you need persistence.

Pay attention to your hands. If they're average to large, make sure you look for a wider neck. On the other, er, hand, if your hands are smaller ya don't want a wider neck.

And when you're tryin out guitars at the guitar store, notice if the action is a bit too high up the neck closer to the body of the guitar. Don't rule that guitar out if you like the feel and sound, but ask if the guitar's been "set up". Manufacturers often do not fine tune the action of their guitars. Shops can usually adjust the neck, bridge, or even the nut before they sell to make sure it's maximally playable. "Set up".

Cheers,

Archived