Gibson Brands Forums

Loss of a Mentor " Old Man"

JohnnyReb

After spending a good while as a member of this forum it seems to be ok to share personal stories that are non guitar related. It makes me proud to be a member of this forum where such passionate and kind people are. Regardless of the personal differences we may have, it's amazing how a musical instrument can bring such peace and comradery. My heart is warmed by such things as members comforting the loss of another members dog. This is the best guitar forum on the web hands down.

Today we laid to rest a dear freind and mentor that was respectfully called " Old Man". He was a kindergarden friends father who I had known since a small child. Through the years he became a 2nd father to me. During high school all us guys would party in his garage and have a big time. I guess this could be frowned upon allowing youngsters to drink but it had its rules. If you drink.....plan on sleeping on the couch or find a floor. He kept a big axe handle on the wall for people who wanted to drink and drive home. Matter of fact I've gotten a knot or two from that axe handle. But I guess he figured boys will be boys and he might as well provide a safe place or else we would do it somewhere else and wind up dead. Through the years he was always there if you were in need, and he loved every one of us. He called his little house and garage on the hill " possum Hill". So we were rightly called the possum hill boys. Anyway a few thousand beers later here I am still alive and I have Old Man to thank for helping me along. I guess thinking back on it he must have been nuts for letting a bunch of teenage boys get drunker than cootie brown every weekend in his garage. But he kept us safe. We've cried together, laughed together, drank together, hunted together, done it all. I quit drinking some time ago but I would stop and see him every so often. He loved to see my 2 year old daughter so he could tickle her and make her laugh.

Tonight I am on Possum Hill in Old Mans garage remembering the good times I had with him. Although his body isn't here his presence is still strong in our hearts. Today was his 69th birthday and he missed it by 2 days. But tonight Old Man lives on. I suppose I'll have a toast to the Old Man and if any of ya out there are picking and having a drink......take a sip for the Old Man

fe43384d7d1927d788797c6490151ba0.jpg

After spending a good while as a member of this forum it seems to be ok to share personal stories that are non guitar related. It makes me proud to be a member of this forum where such passionate and kind people are. Regardless of the personal differences we may have, it's amazing how a musical instrument can bring such peace and comradery. My heart is warmed by such things as members comforting the loss of another members dog. This is the best guitar forum on the web hands down.

Today we laid to rest a dear freind and mentor that was respectfully called " Old Man". He was a kindergarden friends father who I had known since a small child. Through the years he became a 2nd father to me. During high school all us guys would party in his garage and have a big time. I guess this could be frowned upon allowing youngsters to drink but it had its rules. If you drink.....plan on sleeping on the couch or find a floor. He kept a big axe handle on the wall for people who wanted to drink and drive home. Matter of fact I've gotten a knot or two from that axe handle. But I guess he figured boys will be boys and he might as well provide a safe place or else we would do it somewhere else and wind up dead. Through the years he was always there if you were in need, and he loved every one of us. He called his little house and garage on the hill " possum Hill". So we were rightly called the possum hill boys. Anyway a few thousand beers later here I am still alive and I have Old Man to thank for helping me along. I guess thinking back on it he must have been nuts for letting a bunch of teenage boys get drunker than cootie brown every weekend in his garage. But he kept us safe. We've cried together, laughed together, drank together, hunted together, done it all. I quit drinking some time ago but I would stop and see him every so often. He loved to see my 2 year old daughter so he could tickle her and make her laugh.

Tonight I am on Possum Hill in Old Mans garage remembering the good times I had with him. Although his body isn't here his presence is still strong in our hearts. Today was his 69th birthday and he missed it by 2 days. But tonight Old Man lives on. I suppose I'll have a toast to the Old Man and if any of ya out there are picking and having a drink......take a sip for the Old Man

fe43384d7d1927d788797c6490151ba0.jpg

JR ,

sorry to hear he passed .

but he did something right all if you guys still loved him and cared for him .

and I totally get that if you are loved by a certain someone a father , a mother , a grandfather or just someone older who guides you through life like in your case that's undying love and as you have said even though the body is gone ... the love and the memories will always be in the heart.

you can't buy that kind of love ... you can only be thankful for having had such a great human being in your life .

God Bless you and "Old Man" =)

JC

Archived