Gibson Brands Forums

Hmmmm..... looks fishy....

Irish Brian in Sweden

So I live in Sweden and watch out for any interesting guitars on our eBay called Blocket.se

So up pops a 1964 Cherry 335 with a Bigsby....... no price given.....

Blocket Guitar

And so I do a search to see how much these might fetch and find this guitar on Gbase for 13,500 USD

Gbase Guitar

Is this not the same guitar? The picture of the full guitar face up in the case is the same no?

But the one on Blocket.se has strangely erased the leads that are on the floor, if you look closely you can see

that someone did a photoshop to remove them?? Why... I have no idea...

The other 2 blocket photos are not the same as the Gbase guitar? And have a different serial number....

I've attached the Blocket.se picture that's a copy of the Gbase one.....

post-47972-024068000 1351265638_thumb.jpg

So I message him:

>> What sort of price are you looking for? If that's all original then

>> that would fetch over 10K US dollars in the states....

He answers:

> Hi!

> Thank you for supporting me with the price setting of this fantastic

> guitar.

> Yes, my price is low about 10.000$ because of the issue of the

> headstock with a very thin and short crack Which is professionally

> repaired . Otherwise it all original, no modification or changing or

> other repairs.

> Regards, Lajos

I answer:

> Oh any headstock issue can drop the price by up to 50% especially in

> the US.

> Here in Sweden people don't seem to mind as much for some reason....

>

> By the way, your guitar's pics look a lot like this guitar....

>

> http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-es-335-1964-cherry-4

>

> Can you explain?

>

> Brian

To which he says....

Yeah. Sure that's why my price is low.

The pics very similar indeed, bit this is not the same guitar!

Lajos

---

What do you all think? It's certainly the same guitar.... What's his game?

Anybody can get (steal) photos from online sources and create their own phony listing for an item that they do not actually own. It happens frequently on ebay, craigslist, blocket... everywhere. Identical photos (and mis-matched photos, incomplete views of all parts of an instrument) are usually the dead giveaway that you're dealing with fraud.

Anybody can get (steal) photos from online sources and create their own phony listing for an item that they do not actually own. It happens frequently on ebay, craigslist, blocket... everywhere. Identical photos (and mis-matched photos, incomplete views of all parts of an instrument) are usually the dead giveaway that you're dealing with fraud.

Exactly!

This is almost certainly a scam. The only way to confirm otherwise is to look at the guitar in person, to see that the seller actually has possession. For starters, ask the seller to take a picture of him holding both the guitar and today's newspaper, the equivalent of a "proof of life" photo in a kidnapping case.

Stay away - it's a scam for sure.

I've seen this kind of thing first hand with a '53 Tele purchased by a friend of mine. A week after the purchase, the guitar shows up in a phony Craigslist ad, which can't possibly be legitimate because my friend has the Tele in his possession!

But look at the Bigsby tailpiece; different in the Swedish pic, a lot of wear there that isn't on the GBase pic......????

Not so sure it is the same guitar.

True, but I'd want to see it in person before committing to buying it. Depending on the nature of the repaired headstock crack, that factor alone could knock 30-50% off the value of the guitar, even if properly repaired.

But look at the Bigsby tailpiece; different in the Swedish pic, a lot of wear there that isn't on the GBase pic......????

Not so sure it is the same guitar.

It looks like the blocket scammer has now removed the photo he stole from gbase. The point is, he originally included a photo that was identical (except for being photoshopped, as mentioned above) to a photo of a 335 on sale at gbase, and that's a red flag that it was a scam. The very fact that the seller DID have photos of two different guitars is a big red flag, especially when it's obvious that one of the guitars being illustrated actually belongs to somebody else (the gbase seller).

True, but I'd want to see it in person before committing to buying it. Depending on the nature of the repaired headstock crack, that factor alone could knock 30-50% off the value of the guitar, even if properly repaired.

Agreed. Have to say I would not even consider a guitar with a repaired headstock. There are far too many undamaged ones out there to buy!!

Archived