Gibson Brands Forums

Hybrid/Custom Gibson J100?

Git4Life

Odd looking J100...and another thing, I thought these were discontinued after 1943, then reintroduced in 1985...this seller claims it's a 1970. The saddle looks like a Martin, as does the pickguard. The rosette doesn't look Gibson like either...

So is this a custom made Gib J100 with hybrid tendencies?

Here's the listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/290801149783?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Well that didn't take long...it's sold. But still curious just what that was...anyone?

Acccording to my copy of "Gibson`s fabulous flat top guitars", Gibson reintroduced the model in 1972 calling it the J-100 and retailing it at $495. It had the same dimensions as the J-200 but with Mahogany neck,back and sides. It sold well in 72 (236 instruments), another 51 left the factory in 73. None were made in 74 and the final 4 were made in 75. This version had the Martin type bridge, and some of the guitars had Cedar tops.

The next reissue of the J-100 was in 85 now with Maple B&S and a belly up bridge.

Steve.

Frenchie took the words out of my mouth. I have owned one of these for 20 years

2062336310066230676oZtSZe_th.jpg

With the Norlin buyout of Gibson there were several model changes being made as well as some general 'funkiness' going on with many of Gibson,s flagship models! This just one of many "morphed" models from the early 70's.

The one on Ebay sold for a good price!

Nice looking J100 you have there Retrorod, how does she sound, and do you know if it is similar to the 90`s Mahogany version in the tone department?.

I really like my 94 model, and it may just be my favourite guitar. [biggrin]

The only thing I would change on mine, would be the rather thinnish frets.

Steve.

Nice looking J100 you have there Retrorod, how does she sound, and do you know if it is similar to the 90`s Mahogany version in the tone department?.

Steve.

Thanks! Its very light and has decent bass to treble response and is quite loud. I am not sure how it compares tonally to the 90's version.

I have seen these come up for sale once in a blue moon! $700 is a steal, IMO. My 100 is single X-braced also and possibly a cedar top? It is very 'silky' in its grain patterns. The mahogany back is quite nice also.

Thanks! Its very light and has decent bass to treble response and is quite loud. I am not sure how it compares tonally to the 90's version.

I have seen these come up for sale once in a blue moon! $700 is a steal, IMO. My 100 is single X-braced also and possibly a cedar top? It is very 'silky' in its grain patterns. The mahogany back is quite nice also.

Rod, that silking in the top is more common with sitka or Engelmann spruce than cedar, I believe, although this top does appear to have the very tight grain that you associate with cedar. Whatever the wood, it's a gorgeous guitar in beautiful condition.

By the way, that '63 Impala coupe of yours is a sweetheart. Looks suspiciously like a 409.

(I talked my dad into buying a new '64 Impala 327 when I was a senior in high school. I couldn't believe he bought it. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Sticker price was $4200 then. I got to drive in on Friday or Saturday night, provided I washed it and filled it up with gas.)

Good eye! Thanks...

Sounds like you have(had) a pretty cool Dad [thumbup]

Had.... He's been dead for 20+ years, but he was a good guy. Not cool in any sense, but a really good guy for being as strait-laced as they come.

That's what happens when you grow up on a farm in Mississippi, enlist in the Marine Corps at 20 as a private, come up the hawsepipe, and retire as a colonel (and chaplain!) 30+ years later. That tends to make you a bit of a straight arrow, unlike his wayward son.

Frenchie took the words out of my mouth. I have owned one of these for 20 years

2062336310066230676oZtSZe_th.jpg

With the Norlin buyout of Gibson there were several model changes being made as well as some general 'funkiness' going on with many of Gibson,s flagship models! This just one of many "morphed" models from the early 70's.

The one on Ebay sold for a good price!

Wow that IS one gorgeous specimen, nice to see that! And interesting to read about this guitar's history. I'd better dig deeper next time as the one vintage gibson site I checked the info on for this J100 that got away on ebay didn't acknowledge the 70's models.

Thanks for all the feedback! Learning here...

Nick, are you implying that 'you' are the only HELL your father raised??.... [confused][laugh]

Well, I found out from my sister after he died that he had a couple of tours of duty in the brig as a young Marine, even getting busted from sargent on one occasion. I guarantee you he never would have told me that!

Archived