Gibson Brands Forums

Doves in Flight question

Twisted sister

I have been watching the Doves in Flight guitars on eBay for a while now. Well this morning a very sexy rare breed in which ive never saw another one like it popped up. However I cannot find any information about it any place online. She is a real beauty but I do not want to pay too much. If a guitar lists for 10k how much should I expect to pay?

I have been watching the Doves in Flight guitars on eBay for a while now. Well this morning a very sexy rare breed in which ive never saw another one like it popped up. However I cannot find any information about it any place online. She is a real beauty but I do not want to pay too much. If a guitar lists for 10k how much should I expect to pay?

Twist, I'm not sure I'm following you..... a DIF shouldn't cost you $10K.

I think a new DIF "lists" for about $7K, and the "street" cost is closer to $4-4.5K.

Can you post the link to this "rare breed" you're talking about?

To me, no guitar can compare with a DIF.

It seems to me the Doves In Flight and The Firebird Custom - apart from the flamed/curly vs. quilted back'n'sides - are the same thing. From reading the G-site, it's pretty hard to tell what sonic difference that makes, but you have to be aware of the 2 nut-widths. The DIF being 1.575 (rather narrow) – the F-bird 1.725 (like modern Gibson standard).

As the proud owner of the Bird, I recommend this guitar as a something very special and grand – would like to hear the DIF and have a long A/B between those 2. Bet it is awesome too.

Anyways – just thought you should know.

Taste is beyond discussion or arguing, but admit I had to dampen my guard-flames. Simply erased a good deal of the paint with a mix of kitchen sprit and vodka.

Besides it's permanently out of the case to get that anemic top some tan.

Don't play it much right now as the strings are just perfectos for a one whole step down recording. Will happen Thursday.

After that I'm gonna eat it as the vanilla-icecream-wonder it is.

Taste is beyond discussion or arguing, but admit I had to dampen my guard-flames. Simply erased a good deal of the paint with a mix of kitchen sprit and vodka.

Besides it's permanently out of the case to get that anemic top some tan.

Don't play it much right now as the strings are just perfectos for a one whole step down recording. Will happen Thursday.

After that I'm gonna eat it as the vanilla-icecream-wonder it is.

Specs are lovely, as I'm sure the actual model is... do like the sound of dampened flames though, have you pics? True for taste though, 5-10 years ago had I been offered a J-200 I'd have said "with a daft guard like that, are you mental?" now I own one... I also ripped the guard off a brand new J-45 on day 1 and stuck on a J-50/SJ style guard... nowt as queer as folk I suppose.

Here's the link you requested. Tell me what you think. I'm trying to get done to get to the bank , I think Im in love!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-2012-LIMITED-GIBSON-DOVES-IN-FLIGHT-CUSTOM-SHOP-ACOUSTIC-DOVE-GUITAR-/121019418379?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c2d51c70b

That's a very unusual looking rosewood back. To my eye, it conflicts significantly with the sunburst on the back of the neck. It's unfortunate they don't really show the sides in any of the photos.

They say that love is blind, but you really should listen to the input from Danvillrob, as he really is the DIF expert here.

If the seller is not an authorized Gibson dealer (which I doubt), there will not be a factory warranty, despite the fact that it is a new guitar.

Here's the link you requested. Tell me what you think. I'm trying to get done to get to the bank , I think Im in love!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2d51c70b

I LOVE the 'burst!

That is one pretty guitar.

Not a big fan of the back.... should be maple..... with a burst would be over the top!

The price seems high. I bought a brand new Hummingbird Custom Koa, (lists for about the same as the DIF), for $4500.

I'll show you a back on a DIF that'll send you up the wall!

used_006.jpg

I LOVE the 'burst!

That is one pretty guitar.

Not a big fan of the back.... should be maple..... with a burst would be over the top!

The price seems high. I bought a brand new Hummingbird Custom Koa, (lists for about the same as the DIF), for $4500.

I'll show you a back on a DIF that'll send you up the wall!

used_006.jpg

VERY NICE!

The listing has enden.

Sold for $5.250

(sorry for the weird text. Don't know whats wrong)

Preferences§1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[]Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'\shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspañolFrançaisItalianoPortuguêsРусскийalt altPreferencesPreferences§1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[]Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'\shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspañolFrançaisItalianoPortuguêsРусскийalt altPreferences

Archived