Gibson Brands Forums

"B Stock" Epiphones

1986GN

A local shop carries a lot of Epiphone B Stock guitars. From what I understand, these are guitars that have cosmetic only flaws that are sold to another company where they refinish them, stamp "2nd" or "used" on the back of the head stock, and sell them for a discounted price with no warranty.

The store has a Les Paul Standard 1960 Tribute V3 that plays really nicely. It comes with everything that the original Epi came with...case etc. The shop owner said that she would do a straight trade for my Valensi Riv. I'm sure the Valensi is a better guitar, but the neck is too thin for me, and I don't play it very much.

My concern is that the value of the B stock is going to be significantly less in the long run.

Opinions?

post-41876-074586300 1352816995_thumb.jpg

Well, since you asked for my opinion, I'll give it to you.

You say your concern is the value of the Epi in the long run.

For me, the concern would be, the playability/feel, sound/tone, and quality of the build of the guitar.

If I thought the LP had this over the Valensi, than I would trade.

If re-sale value is what my main concern is, than I wouldn't even be looking at an Epi.

My concern is that the value of the B stock is going to be significantly less in the long run.

For me, the concern would be, the playability/feel, sound/tone, and quality of the build of the guitar.

If I thought the LP had this over the Valensi, than I would trade.

If re-sale value is what my main concern is, than I wouldn't even be looking at an Epi.

Yup,

If you don't play the Valensi, what good is it?

As to resale:

Back in '76 I bought a Gibson L.P. Custom for $650. (Slightly under a months pay back then)

Today it is worth a few thousand. (Slightly under a months pay today)

Resale value?...Buy stocks and bonds.

By the way, "used" and "2nd" are not the same.

I don't recall off hand which is which. One contains minor flaws corrected by Epi (Gibson) and sold with a full warranty.

The other is sold to a secondary dealer for repairs and resold without a warranty....(unless provided by the dealer)

Good luck in your choice,

Willy

Good points. Thanks.

I seem to get caught up on the value of something. I don't like to think that I gave up something of higher value for something worth less.

Bottom line is, that if I'm not using it, it has zero value.

I went to Guitar Center today, and they offered me $150 trade in for the Valensi. [cursing] I declined.

I did the deal, straight trade for the 60's Tribute....HNGD to me!

The ones with "used" on the headstock are the ones that are sent to an aftermarket company. That's what I got. No warranty, just a 60 day in store.

I got a "used" worn brown Epi SG... the plan was to gut it and add new pickups, wiring, and tuners so I it seemed like the best route for me to go. I'll NEVER be able to unload it for what I've put into it (not that it was a fortune) but being a low end model Epiphone AND stamped used, I'm just gonna hold on to it... I couldn't get dirt for it if I tried to sell it or trade it in on anything.

It's nice to think that when you buy a guitar, you could play it for a few years (or a decade) and then decide to unload it for a reasonable amount or what you've got in it... but that's often just not how it goes. On a few rare occasions it's happened for me but it's certainly not the rule!

Archived