Gibson Brands Forums

Got the 175, now a polish?

gnappi

Well, I received the 1995 ES175 today and it was a really pleasant surprise. It doesn't have any finish cracks or issues I fully expected. One danger about buying on Ebay. When I opened the case a huge blast of my grandmother's house air smashed my nose into memory lane :-)

It's setup with flatwounds and the action was a good full inch... ok maybe a bit exaggerated there, but after initially setting it up I'm very pleased, but one thing is driving me mad... my grandmother's house smell!

I ran a cloth with a couple of drops of liquid gold on it and it helped a bit but is there any good guitar polish that can remove the smell from the surface and bring out the shine better? LG is less than wonderful for this. The case needs simply to be opened up for an extended time to get the smell out of it I hope. Gads, this one smells like it's from the 50's not the 90's!

Here it is next to my Joe Pass.

155949_493255184029303_289013066_n.jpg

BTW, it feeds back more than my Joe Pass!

Oh, one more thing, the label inside peeled up a bit, should I secure it? If so with what?

Well, I received the 1995 ES175 today and it was a really pleasant surprise. It doesn't have any finish cracks or issues I fully expected. One danger about buying on Ebay. When I opened the case a huge blast of my grandmother's house air smashed my nose into memory lane :-)

It's setup with flatwounds and the action was a good full inch... ok maybe a bit exaggerated there, but after initially setting it up I'm very pleased, but one thing is driving me mad... my grandmother's house smell!

I ran a cloth with a couple of drops of liquid gold on it and it helped a bit but is there any good guitar polish that can remove the smell from the surface and bring out the shine better? LG is less than wonderful for this. The case needs simply to be opened up for an extended time to get the smell out of it I hope. Gads, this one smells like it's from the 50's not the 90's!

Here it is next to my Joe Pass.

155949_493255184029303_289013066_n.jpg

BTW, it feeds back more than my Joe Pass!

Oh, one more thing, the label inside peeled up a bit, should I secure it? If so with what?

Man I just love your 175. What an absolute beauty. Flame top looks great. Never seen one as beautiful. Congrats

Btw I just use Gibson polish with very soft cloths Here's mine.

a2cbce85.png

virtuoso cleaner and polish u cant beat it i use it on my martin D-28, on my 1-st run robot les paul ,my gibson limited of 80 j-45, my les paul junior my fender strat and fender 12 string villager its just amazing polish and cleaner but be carefull the instrument gets slipery ! your 175 is a keeper.

I use furniture beeswax in turpentine with no additives or silicones or linseed oil. It is not a polish so it has no cutting compounds in it. Just a pure beeswax. Takes elbow grease to buff it off the guitar.

The turps in the beeswax tend to take off whatever smells that may be on the guitar. Naphtha also removes smells and grease but it also removes whatever polish that is one the surface.

Go gently.

Unlike guitar polishes, beeswax does not leave your instrument slippery. I like the beeswax that comes in a jar, not an aerosol can.

What smell are you refering to? "Grandfathers house" could be anything to us.

Depending on what the "smell" is, it could be coming from the finish of the guitar, the case, or a smell has gotten into the guitar from something else.

Either way, I am not one who worries about smells that much, unless it is cat piss or something truly offensive. But for the most part, NICE guitar!!

What smell are you refering to? "Grandfathers house" could be anything to us.

Depending on what the "smell" is, it could be coming from the finish of the guitar, the case, or a smell has gotten into the guitar from something else.

Either way, I am not one who worries about smells that much, unless it is cat piss or something truly offensive. But for the most part, NICE guitar!!

I see you don't go to grandmas house... shame on you! :-) You don't know this but I have some 25 guitars, and have had probably 3x that in my life and it smells exactly like old lady. Now if Grandma happened to sit in your lap for an hour I think you'd find it offensive :-)

It smells bad enough for me to post it here!

I had a late 70's Les Paul a few years ago that had that smell. I left the case opened up and stuck a few Bounce dryer sheets in it. The Les Paul got cleaned several times with Naptha and then used Virtuoso polish. I left it out on a guitar stand for a long time and some of that time with a small box fan on low speed blowing air on it. Air is always the best solution but it takes time and you have to watch the humidity. You may have to replace the case but that is where the biggest issue is as that material holds odors.

I had a late 70's Les Paul a few years ago that had that smell. I left the case opened up and stuck a few Bounce dryer sheets in it. The Les Paul got cleaned several times with Naptha and then used Virtuoso polish. I left it out on a guitar stand for a long time and some of that time with a small box fan on low speed blowing air on it. Air is always the best solution but it takes time and you have to watch the humidity. You may have to replace the case but that is where the biggest issue is as that material holds odors.

Yeah I had a Johnny Smith with a bad smell. It was like that when I bought it. I found it mildly irritating. I left it out of the case for awhile and left the case open. Smell disappeared from the guitar but not the case. The case fell apart and I replaced it so no smell anymore. But I do agree that this smell can be off putting.

Archived