Gibson Brands Forums

Amos Lee - Behind Me Now

Plainsman

Thanks for that Plainsman, I had not known of this artist before, well woth investigating.

The J-100 Xtra Maple sounds great as well, I am a big fan of the J-100 in it`s various guises, and absolutely love my 94 Mahogany version (Even though I also have a wonderful 2010 J-200 too!).

Did the J-100 Xtra Maple basically become the J-200 Studio model?

Steve.

Perchance a J100Xtra, maple b&s?

Yeah was kinda thinking it might be a j100/150/studio? The colour of the binding threw me a little

Thanks for that Plainsman, I had not known of this artist before, well woth investigating.

The J-100 Xtra Maple sounds great as well, I am a big fan of the J-100 in it`s various guises, and absolutely love my 94 Mahogany version (Even though I also have a wonderful 2010 J-200 too!).

Did the J-100 Xtra Maple basically become the J-200 Studio model?

Steve.

I don't have the faintest idea (but dare say from reading bits here and there) the Montana j100 were built early/ mid 90's and early/ mid 2000's?

May I ask how (theoritically, i.e. without hearing up close and personal) if you hear a little difference in tone from your j200? Forgive my subjective question as I'm listening thru less than ideal audio and crappy headphones:rolleyes: It just sounds a little more focused/ crisper than a 2001 j200 I have played? Then again my memory could be less than ideal also[crying] Just for reference, my take on that particular j200 was a booming bass but with seperation and clarity, aggressive mids and fat highs. Just a little more smoother and classier. Perhaps the j200 expense is a little more justifed in tone even though the maple j100 is a 'blingless' j200? Hope you get the jist of what I'm saying[blink]

Yeah was kinda thinking it might be a j100/150/studio? The colour of the binding threw me a little

I don't have the faintest idea (but dare say from reading bits here and there) the Montana j100 were built early/ mid 90's and early/ mid 2000's?

May I ask how (theoritically, i.e. without hearing up close and personal) if you hear a little difference in tone from your j200? Forgive my subjective question as I'm listening thru less than ideal audio and crappy headphones:rolleyes: It just sounds a little more focused/ crisper than a 2001 j200 I have played? Then again my memory could be less than ideal also[crying] Just for reference, my take on that particular j200 was a booming bass but with seperation and clarity, aggressive mids and fat highs. Just a little more smoother and classier. Perhaps the j200 expense is a little more justifed in tone even though the maple j100 is a 'blingless' j200? Hope you get the jist of what I'm saying[blink]

My 94 J-100 Xtra has Mahogany back and sides, and therefore gives a different tonal flavour to what my J-200 offers, or this Maple 100 for that matter. My J-200 when it gets going is crisper and possibly louder than the my 100, with good tonal balance and string seperation, it is heavier too weight wise. As for the 100 mahogany, it has zingy (In a nice way) trebles and a lingering deep dry bass when strummed, if that makes sense.

The J-100 Xtra(Maple) in the video, is in the right ballpark for a J-200 tone(But I think the sound is bigger with a 200), and I`d be happy to own it although I`ve got my heart set on a J-100(Bubinga) as my next purchase(Don`t tell the wife though). [smile]

I`m liking Amos Lee`s stuff the more I hear it.

Steve.

My 94 J-100 Xtra has Mahogany back and sides, and therefore gives a different tonal flavour to what my J-200 offers, or this Maple 100 for that matter. My J-200 when it gets going is crisper and possibly louder than the my 100, with good tonal balance and string seperation, it is heavier too weight wise. As for the 100 mahogany, it has zingy (In a nice way) trebles and a lingering deep dry bass when strummed, if that makes sense.

The J-100 Xtra(Maple) in the video, is in the right ballpark for a J-200 tone(But I think the sound is bigger with a 200), and I`d be happy to own it although I`ve got my heart set on a J-100(Bubinga) as my next purchase(Don`t tell the wife though). [smile]

Thnx, interesting stuff to me anyways. I too just sense the 2001 j200 I played was 'bigger and wider' toned than this maple j100 (tuff call going by video alone) but so it seems..The 2001 j200 was very light. Your hog 100 sounds very light also. It would be an interesting comparison in weight with the 2001 j200 and your 2010 j200.

Also I was in touch a few weeks ago with a bubinga j100 owner but unfortunately didn't have a tele to trade for it. Moving on, a local wheeler dealer now has it and wacked another 550euro on top of what the original owner was asking. Interestingly enough, according to their website, a gibson dealer shop in town has NOS bubinga for only another 120e on top of the other used one. I'm going to sus out the nos one next week or so...

Archived