Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ES-175 Reissue -- to change pickups or not?

lblack

I have had my Epiphone ES-175 Reissue for almost a year now, and am happy with it. In my lessons and practice, I have entered into a study of Jazz and the Epiphone ES-175 seems to be the one for me to use in those studies. I have read in different forums where some people recommend changing the pickups -- for example, to change out the Epiphone Alnico Classic pickups with Gibson USA Classic 57 pickups, or maybe only the neck pickup as that is what I use for the Jazz studies. Is there a real advantage of performing a pickup change-out? Can the USA pickups be used directly in the Epiphone (metric?)? I am wondering if anyone in this forum has actual hands-on experience with such an upgrade. What is your experience? I am interested in the Jazz aspect, not trying to turn my Epiphone ES-175 into something else.

If you are happy with it then there is probably no advantage in changing the pickups. In my opinion the Epi pickups you have sound pretty good through smaller amps at lower volumes, but not as good at higher band rehearsal/gig volumes. I notice you have some Gibson guitars, and if you are hearing something better in the tones from those guitars, then an upgrade to Gibson or similar quality pickups may be for you. I have an Epi ES-355 that I upgraded from the Alnico Classics to Gibson Classic 57s and it was a big improvement in tone to my ears, especially at band volumes.

I have had my Epiphone ES-175 Reissue for almost a year now, and am happy with it. In my lessons and practice, I have entered into a study of Jazz and the Epiphone ES-175 seems to be the one for me to use in those studies. I have read in different forums where some people recommend changing the pickups -- for example, to change out the Epiphone Alnico Classic pickups with Gibson USA Classic 57 pickups, or maybe only the neck pickup as that is what I use for the Jazz studies. Is there a real advantage of performing a pickup change-out? Can the USA pickups be used directly in the Epiphone (metric?)? I am wondering if anyone in this forum has actual hands-on experience with such an upgrade. What is your experience? I am interested in the Jazz aspect, not trying to turn my Epiphone ES-175 into something else.

I wouldn't recommend changing out pick-ups unless there is some percieved lack of quality on YOUR part - ie; you're not happy with the way the guitar sounds in a given situation. In lieu of changing out the neck pick-up (this goes for bridge as well) I would start with adjusting the overall pick-up height as well as the height of individual pole pieces for each string. In many cases, the pick-ups are too close to the strings. This often affects them in a negative way - too much string pull and/or distorted/wooly sound. Dropping them down a bit often cleans them right up. Use the individual pole peices to balance out individual string volume - these adjustment are very subtle - usually no more than a full turn or so in either direction once you have the overall pick-up height in the proper place. Mess around with this a bit and then decide if you really need another pick-up! Good Luck

I wouldn't recommend changing out pick-ups unless there is some percieved lack of quality on YOUR part - ie; you're not happy with the way the guitar sounds in a given situation. In lieu of changing out the neck pick-up (this goes for bridge as well) I would start with adjusting the overall pick-up height as well as the height of individual pole pieces for each string. In many cases, the pick-ups are too close to the strings. This often affects them in a negative way - too much string pull and/or distorted/wooly sound. Dropping them down a bit often cleans them right up. Use the individual pole peices to balance out individual string volume - these adjustment are very subtle - usually no more than a full turn or so in either direction once you have the overall pick-up height in the proper place. Mess around with this a bit and then decide if you really need another pick-up! Good Luck

What dporto said ^^ [thumbup]

Me too...

Just one other point...

Strings... What's been said will have some differences depending on the strings. I think adjusting strings to pickups or pickups to strings can make tons of difference. Ditto various settings on the guitar's pots, both volume and tone and how a given amp is set up in connection with a specific guitar.

What it amounts to is that an electric guitar is a complex instrument that includes its construction, the pups and onboard electronics (pots), then the cord going to a given amp, the amp settings and even where the amp is pointed.

I think "we" have a tendency not to mess with lots of variables on the pups and pots to match them with another batch of variables on an amp, and just go ahead and buy stuff that may or may not make us any happier.

The guitar pots and amp settings plus setting up the strings and pups all are the basic variables. I'll wager that most guitars themselves with almost any pups can be made to sound "good to excellent" with these variables considered first.

Then again... I've used some pretty nasty stuff over the years and never had anybody toss vegetables a me when I was pickin'. So I mostly figure that various settings can get enough decent sound that if otherwise it ain't broke, I'd rather do a lot of adjusting rather than fixing something for no reason.

The whole overall guitar setup is a huge factor too... and yet another story. Ditto how you play: Heavy strings and light flatpick or light strings and fingerstyle or heavy strings and heavy flatpicking... or...

Then think of this... will Gibson brand pickups help you play better? Would some other brand? Or is you and the overall setup you use to make your music?

m

For what it's worth, I think that's a good decision at this point. The 175 body and controls, and that of other hollow bodies is seldom well exploited in stock form. I think over time you'll be surprised at how your technique will change and the sound you get as well.

m

Since Epiphone has come out as a lower cost quality option for those who can't quite afford the corresponding model Gibson and likewise for Squier and Fender,there has appeared a group of people who have a knee jerk reaction and mindset that since these models are of lower cost that equates to being inferior or downright junk.They automatically think that a pickup and/or electronics and hardware replacement is mandatory and sing that same song time and time again and I don't give their statements or beliefs one bit of creedence.I have found the pickups,electronics,hardware etc. in Epiphones-at least the ones that I've either bought or played-to be of exceptional quality and the same goes for Squier guitars.There may have been 5 minutes in their history when their QA wasn't what you'd call consistant but on the whole all these guitars outperform most other guitars in their price range.The pickups in my Epi Les Paul Trad. Pro sound for the world like the original PAFs and Bill Gates and Richard Branson don't have enough money to bribe me into changing out the original pickups.All of my Epis would fall into that category.If the tone of your guitar suits you and you are satisfied with it,save the money you'd have spent on pickups and buy a high quality case to keep the guitar in-that's provided you don't already have one.

Bonzo...

Absolutely positively good commentary. Now wait for the "modders" to jump us both. <grin>

I think there are reasons to do some changes, such as adding a a Bigsby to a 175 - which I'd personally never imagine doing, but some think it's neat - and then it's a good deal to add a roller bridge IMHO. Some nuts aren't quite up to snuff on their cut, especially with some gauge strings. That's also a reason to make a change for certain, but that's almost more of a setup issue.

The Epis and Squiers of today are, if they're the type of guitar you want, incredible values compared to what I could get in the 1960s. Unless one wants another kind of guitar entirely - which IMHO makes a kit guitar perhaps a better idea - 99.2 percent of the time beyond a good setup for preferred strings and playing style, I see no reason to change stuff.

m

I think there are reasons to do some changes, such as adding a a Bigsby to a 175 - which I'd personally never imagine doing, but some think it's neat - and then it's a good deal to add a roller bridge IMHO. Some nuts aren't quite up to snuff on their cut, especially with some gauge strings. That's also a reason to make a change for certain, but that's almost more of a setup issue.

Your comment about the roller bridge caught my attention. The Epi ES175 has a floating bridge -- would there be any advantage to some other bridge even without a Bigsby?

There are some interesting perspectives on bridges.

I think personally that perhaps a full high-end setup by a real pro should at least consider replacing a plastic nut with bone or tusq. A case has been made for a 0 fret - and probably that means the whole nut question is almost moot as long as it was cut decently so as not to be a problem with strings.

You have functionally three types of bridges in archtop tradition.

There's the old wood - ebony, rosewood or whatever - bridge on top of ebony or rosewood that fits the top. If properly matched to the guitar, it tends to be considered, if not truly, warmer than anything metal. It also appears there may be likely less sustain.

Then there's a solid metal bridge of various sorts. It's not as common as 50 years ago or so. It was claimed to add sustain.

Then there's the now-traditional tune-a-matic type bridge that should work well on almost anything electric for a number of reasons. On an archtop it usually goes on top of a wooden platform that then touches the guitar. Functionally that's a replacement for the old wood top half of the height-adjustable bridge.

Most roller bridges I've seen have been roughly a variation of the tunamatic but with little rollers 'stedda little wedges holding up the strings.

Personally I get by quite well with the tunamatic or straight wood sort of bridge either on the box or in the case. My one electric with something else is my old Guild S100c that's basically an SG clone. There's no type of whammy and yet functionally there's a roller-type tunamatic. I can't see that it makes that much difference.

Given that some folks claim you can tell the difference between a guitar that's been blasted with some sorts of vibrations for a period of time, or that a new set of bridge pins on an acoustic can change an epi into a Gibson...

<grin>

m

Archived