Gibson Brands Forums

Went to see Rush Last night

Vega1

Went to see Rush in Dallas last night. Was interesting (maybe only to me) to check out the gear Lifeson was using.

He started out with what appeared to be an ebony custom LP with a Floyd Rose (had a LP custom headstock not the Lifeson Axcess headstock). Also used an ebony LP Axcess Lifeson model for quite a few songs, as well as a burst LP Axcess. Later in the show he used what appeared to be a LP standard desert burst for an "acoustic" part, which sounded fantastic. Also used a LP gold top at one point, and very briefly pulled out the white 355 for one song.

Overall it was a great show, not as good as the Time Machine show a couple years ago but that would have been hard to top, that show was stellar (played "Moving Pictures" in its entirety). Last night they played from about 7:30 until 8:45, then took a 20 minute break and played until about 10:45. They sounded great, with the exception (and it pains me to say this) of Geddy Lee's vocals. Maybe its because the tour is almost over, maybe its because he's just too old to be able to hit those notes any longer, but he did not sound good at all, especially at the end of the show.

Song selection was not the best IMHO, they played what seemed to me to be alot of songs from their "synth period", and most of Clockwork Angels with a small group of violinists and cellists on the stage. Highlights for me were "The Garden", "Subdivisions", "Far cry", "YYZ", and the "2112" finale.

Really good stuff and well worth the admission. Wonder how long they'll be able to do this with Geddy's voice though.

Really good stuff and well worth the admission. Wonder how long they'll be able to do this with Geddy's voice though.

Hi Vega, perhaps just fatigue. they were in Boston a few weeks ago, (now mind you I did not go this time - and it was the first Rush show I've missed in years) but a few of my friends (and fellow rush-aholics) went and they both said Geddy's voice was dead on. about the Time Machine comment; Man you got that right, the show I attended at the Gardens in Boston during that tour was one for the ages.

Not sure if you noticed but Alex's rig is all run with PC's and amp simulators. (which would possibly explain the problems he seems to have mid show with his sound.

He may have props on the stage that look like amps, but there aint a speaker cab anywhere in sight.

If you get guitar player mag, this article was in a few issues back. http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/20121100guitarplayer.htm#.UGZUgsjXyLk.gmail

Geddy was one of the first to dispense of using Bass amps of stage as he was plugging into the PA, as many do these days. Therfore, he used clothes dryers for the stage where the amps would be.

When asked about it, he replied, "for that warm, dry tone".

Geddy's voice has softened.

I was gonna go see them, but I looked at their setlist and that made me decide it wasn't worth it. I would love to hear the old 70s stuff again, but let's face it, with the way Ged's voice has softened, there's no way they're doing "The Necromancer".

It seems like Alex always goes back to Marshalls. He uses 50w Jubilee clones for his main distortion sound now.

I actually liked the first set that featured tunes from the "synth" days because they played for the real hardcore Rush fans (I'm one of them). I also loved that they played many tunes from Clockwork Angels because it's a great album. I've seen Rush more times than I can count and they always seem to find a way to surprise me. I thought the violin section playing along on YYZ was great!

I went to the Boston Time Machine show, 10th row floor right, thanks to my great girlfriend. Funny thing is I am the only Rush fan I know so I went solo.

It was a great show.. I LOVE RUSH... some of the newer stuff not so but still love them. Big fan when I was 13 with my first ALBUM Fly by Night after that I was hooked. Have only seen them 3 times......but thats just me I dont like to see one band to many times.

The vids they did where so funny... The movie was a trip too.... RUSH!!!!!

Also I am 48 and still want to ROCK....Funny just thought about this Rush post and had a flash back to highschool... Every year from 9-12 grade at the start of each school year I would spray paint a HUGE RUSH withe the star and pentagone on a big wall leading to the back of the school..

It would last a few months each time and get all the kids talking... hell most knew it was me.. I was pretty kool back then had a good Rep....bUT NOW!!!! lol

< I went to the Boston Time Machine show

I was there too Vox,

We were left of stage, along the back second balcony.

I've been too more rush shows than I can count too, and the boys were on target that night!

so since you went to the Boston show, you're probably close by, where ya located? you live in Mass? I'm in Leominster.

Archived