Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Super 400C alert.

Jabberwocky

The more interesting question is: what makes you think that it is real?

I am not giving the game away. These are guys are getting better at it, that's all I am going to say.

Since that doesn't look anything like a Super 400, I'm not sure why you think they're getting better.

Danny W.

Since that doesn't look anything like a Super 400, I'm not sure why you think they're getting better.

Danny W.

It is good enough to fool the non-aficionado. It certainly threw me for a loop and I actually paused to even consider the possibility that it might be real. [tongue] In that sense, they are getting better at it.

It is good enough to fool the non-aficionado. It certainly threw me for a loop and I actually paused to even consider the possibility that it might be real. [tongue] In that sense, they are getting better at it.

Wrong inlay, wrong binding, wrong tailpiece, wrong pickguard, wrong truss-rod cover, wrong heelcap, and probably wrong size.

Otherwise, it's perfect! <_<

You could replace all the wrong parts with correct ones, but the binding and inlay would be hard to disguise

Danny W.

The more interesting question is: what makes you think that it is real?

I am not giving the game away. These are guys are getting better at it, that's all I am going to say.

Jabberwocky, I didn't say I thought it was real. I said I wasn't familiar with the 400C.

My reason for asking is simply to learn how to identify a fake Gibson, since that is a topic that comes up on the Gibson forum quite regularly.

Danny, thanks for answering the question.

Wrong inlay, wrong binding, wrong tailpiece, wrong pickguard, wrong truss-rod cover, wrong heelcap, and probably wrong size.

Otherwise, it's perfect! <_<

You could replace all the wrong parts with correct ones, but the binding and inlay would be hard to disguise

Danny W.

You gave the game away [biggrin] Now they'll certainly get better.

You gave the game away [biggrin] Now they'll certainly get better.

I'm pretty sure that they could find a photo of a real Super 400 and figure it out themselves.

The point is, the guitar in the ad doesn't look anything like a Super 400, so I don't consider it a fake as much as a mislabeled guitar. In its current form I doubt that it's anything that Gibson built, so maybe that's the fake part. I see guitars like this for sale pretty often and if they fool anyone, then the buyer shouldn't be in the market in the first place.

In any case, I really doubt that anyone capable of making a counterfeit Super 400 is reading this forum for tips on how to make it better.

Danny W.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived