Gibson Brands Forums

What do those '60's B-25 12 string guitars go for???

onewilyfool

I've seen some B25-12s once in awhile go for about $800. You need to be very careful with them as many of them have severe collapsing issues due to the tremendous pressure of the 12 strings being on the B25's small Concert size body. I've seen some that have been totally rebuilt due to collapsing...can't say how good they are when rebuilt. The larged B-45 12 had its own sinking-in issues, but from I've seen those were nowhere near as bad as the B25 12's self destructing issues. When they were new, I recall them being really cool looking guitars, but some of the recent self destructed ones I've seen were kinda sad to see how they didn't hold well over the years.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Yes, I paid about $800 for mine - what a deal but ruined by a diversionary trip through Australian Customs with a $270 fee plus delivery etc.....like RetroRod says, it is a one-way trip to Aust for a Gibson because I'm not going to cover costs by selling mine to you Wily!

Mine has the sunken dishface, repaired cracks and all the faults, and held together internally with various bits of Gaffa tape, but who cares when you get - The Gibson 12 String Sound!

My guitar tech said it has been strange looking shape for years and best to leave it as is and tune down 2 steps and enjoy it while it lasts!

BluesKing777.

Think Gordon Lightfoot!!!

All I ever saw Gordon play was a B45, rather than a B25 twelve.

Regardless, I'd recommend looking elsewhere for a twelve string (like Guild).

And I say that as someone who loves the 6 string version of the B25 & Epi Cortez.

Guild 12 strings are the stuff dreams are made of. These are the guitars that Guild built its reputation on and you will not find a better 12 string guitar short of a Collings.

The doomed from the start aspect of the 1960s Gibson 12 stringers seems to be primarily associated with those with fixed bridges. The version with the trapeze tailpiece are prone to less issues. I have always wondered though if it is as much due to the later guitars being more oberbuilt as it is to the style of bridge.

Our local shop has two B-45 12s in. One is a natural top with the trapeze tailpiece. The other is a fixed bridge cherry burst. The cherryburst has more than a few problems. The worst is that some wingnut had slapped a pickup in it and drilled a couple of holes in the top for the volume and tone knobs. Not a big deal unless you happen to drill through a top brace. Anyway, because the guitar has been deemed not worth the cost of the repairs yours truly has offered to take it off the store's hand. So if it works out (the guitar is still sitting over at the repair place which is a few hours away) my winter project is lined up.

The budget Guild 12vers are about the 800 price, but the nicer ones - the sky limit:

http://www.guildguitars.com.au/list/products/acoustic-guitars/price-range/1-999/

On a totally different track for the price above is a Martin J12/15 - I tried one but the salesman get jabbering and I couldn't get a good shot at it - very interesting but not made anymore - probably plenty around because like my 000-15, the secret to a mahogany top is to give it a workout with a thumb and finger pick to get it humming!

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/J1215.htm

BluesKing777.

The budget Guild 12vers are about the 800 price, but the nicer ones - the sky limit:

Last year, I snagged a 1972 Guild F-112 (their entry level 12 string back then) with OHSC for $550. I swear, this has got to be one of the heaviest guitars I have ever laid my hands on.

But if I were to buy any Gibson made in the mid- to late 1960s t would be a B-25 or B-45 12 string.

Archived