Gibson Brands Forums

Photobucket beta

Bob Isaac

I know Photobucket has been discussed numerous times, but today I am locked into their lousy beta and the link to go back the the original does not work. What are they up to. None of the info for each photo is visible in the beta. I think it is time to download everything and find somewhere better.

Bob

I know Photobucket has been discussed numerous times, but today I am locked into their lousy beta and the link to go back the the original does not work. What are they up to. None of the info for each photo is visible in the beta. I think it is time to download everything and find somewhere better.

Bob

I had the same thought. Lots of other sites out there... I think I'll try some out and see which ones I like best.

Guest Farnsbarns

I have a network of dedicated servers in a state of the art data centre. If anyone ever wants to use their own domain on there for hosting images just drop me a pm.

Edit: there would never be any question about your ownership of data, similarly, I will not be responsible for the safe keeping of your data. Always backup the backup of the backup and then back it up.

I know most folks love this kind of "cloud" storage even though they give up a lotta their ownership to material.

I don't.

My bro who works at MS sez, "Get used to it because that's where it really seems to be going." He sees a probably lease paradigm at some point where in effect we buy terminals - called phones, pads and "devices" - and everything goes on a cloud. We "own" our material only as long as we pay for it.

Me... I believe him but fight the idea which is why I've something like 5 tb of storage at home. When I croak it won't make much diff, but for now...

Music content: I believe we're in for a new round of questions on copyright law. My natural cynicism suggests big corporations will win - albeit different sorts of companies will take different slices of the pie - and the individual creator of any sort of intellectual property, even a family photo, will lose.

m

Guest Farnsbarns

I know most folks love this kind of "cloud" storage even though they give up a lotta their ownership to material.

I don't.

My bro who works at MS sez, "Get used to it because that's where it really seems to be going." He sees a probably lease paradigm at some point where in effect we buy terminals - called phones, pads and "devices" - and everything goes on a cloud. We "own" our material only as long as we pay for it.

Me... I believe him but fight the idea which is why I've something like 5 tb of storage at home. When I croak it won't make much diff, but for now...

Music content: I believe we're in for a new round of questions on copyright law. My natural cynicism suggests big corporations will win - albeit different sorts of companies will take different slices of the pie - and the individual creator of any sort of intellectual property, even a family photo, will lose.

m

It's a valid point, M. If you want to put an image on a forum or similar it'll have to go somewhere on line though.

Farns...

I know...

That's why very little of my photo material has appeared on this forum and still only 3 pieces of mine on youtube...

Meanwhile I think my little sis and BIL already have seen the loss of some photos of their grandkids into the tempest of such clouds.

I figure most of my photo stuff will be absolutely gone in 20 years anyway, at least in part by intentional changes of device interfaces if not file structures.

Unlike 40 years ago when my stuff was on b/w film, some of which I rescued from a newspaper trash bin, when this stuff is gone, it's gone. One set of my b/w film luckily ended up in my state's archives... and six months after that donation was in the state historical society's publication.

We're losing an awful lot of our history, folks, and few seem to know and still fewer seem to care.

m

Guest Farnsbarns

Farns...

I know...

That's why very little of my photo material has appeared on this forum and still only 3 pieces of mine on youtube...

Meanwhile I think my little sis and BIL already have seen the loss of some photos of their grandkids into the tempest of such clouds.

I figure most of my photo stuff will be absolutely gone in 20 years anyway, at least in part by intentional changes of device interfaces if not file structures.

Unlike 40 years ago when my stuff was on b/w film, some of which I rescued from a newspaper trash bin, when this stuff is gone, it's gone. One set of my b/w film luckily ended up in my state's archives... and six months after that donation was in the state historical society's publication.

We're losing an awful lot of our history, folks, and few seem to know and still fewer seem to care.

m

Yes, anyone using the cloud as their only storage wants their head examined!

Yup...

The problem is - and now I'm speaking as a journalist, history and tech junkie combined - what already we are seeing is a giving up of control of our history into the hands of those for whom history is a commodity to be molded into the image they might wish.

Orwell was off only on the decade and technology I think.

An example is obvious and documented by Wikipedia: "Amazon.com withdrew the MobileReference edition of Nineteen Eighty-Four from sale (several other editions were unaffected). Amazon also electronically deleted it from the synchronised e-book reader devices, which also made inaccessible the annotations made by users in their devices. The deletion prompted customer complaints and Orwellian comparison to Nineteen Eighty-Four. Amazon formally stated, 'We are changing our systems so that in the future we will not remove books from customers' devices in these circumstances.'"

Uhhhhh.... sure.

Dystopia is not arrived at without groundwork. It's arrived at through a general belief in Utopia, each individual "voting" for it for their own reasons. The "ease" of the cloud is one.

Yeah, I get increasingly cynical in my old age.

m

I know Photobucket has been discussed numerous times, but today I am locked into their lousy beta and the link to go back the the original does not work.

Try it again. I had the same problem earlier today, but the link to go back is now working, at least it did for me. I also hate the new PB look.

Got a reply from their support folk,

"Thanks for reporting this. Something went awry last night with opting out, it wasn't working from about midnight last night until now. Our engineers have found the problem and have fixed it!"

Perhaps if they stopped fiddling with it things would not break.

Bob

Farns...

I know...

m

If your worried about it then upload to Facebook and set you photos to only share with friends and pick and chose your friends wisely. You could alwas look at some ones pictuers from Photobucket if you can get to one of there photos.

Ray...

I don't think my pix would work well on Facebook as a practical matter. Figure just my digital material the past 8 years is into the TB range. Some day I hope to digitize a lotta transparency stuff that's fading even in the box - and probably another TB or more of B/W film. Some of that was on B/W dye film (Ilford) that is fading too...

One also loses ownership, in ways at least, of material on Facebook as well as any other "on line" service.

Then there's the file structure question. Yeah, JPG has been around a long time, but... how much longer? I've seen TIFF go from "preferred" to... We'll see. Meanwhile glass negatives from the later 1800s, if unbroken and cared for, are as good as new. Can't say that for any of my own prints or 35 mm negs, let alone color transparencies. Digital... I guess we'll see in 100 years how much is lost, but I've seen publications increasingly "losing" their libraries for various reasons.

m

Archived