Gibson Brands Forums

Bedroom Amps

JAC

Mustang!

I have a MustangIII that I use at home and rehersals and even gig with it. Normally gig with a DRRI but use the Mustang3 when volume is going to be an issue as I can get GREAT tone at low volume. Whether clean or dirty the Mustang does it. Had a SuperChamp XD but the 10" speaker just doesn't give the more open bottom end. For the price you cannot beat it. The smaller Mustangs also get raves but for the money go for the III and get the 4 button footswitch to go with and the expression pedal. I set the expression pedal to control the amp gain, not volume the gain, in a range from 30%-80% and can sit there and ride it from clean to crunchy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Search Youtube for the Tubemeister 5 from Hughes & Kettner ... this tube amp is hard to beat for recording and bedroom, be it price or sound.

I myself am forced to use headphones, so my way is a Line6 Pocket Pod and the great Beyerdynamic DT-990 heaphones ... loud enough to really rock [thumbup]

PS: For nighttime players, who don't need effects, the Vox Amplugs are a nice alternative ... check the demos on Youtube. For only 40 bucks a must have I think ... very handy.

Yesterday in our local guitar center I saw a VOX AC-1 standing on the counter.

I tried it because of the built-in drum machine ... I thought, that might come in handy for quick timing trainings.

Long story short ... this baby is a blast for only 45 bucks.

PS: If you don't know this amp, you might think, it's a toy, but it's more a tool, though the heaphone output could be a bit better ... 32 ohm headphones recommended. And, btw, it looks cool on the living room shelf [thumbup]

PPS: Only downside: the clean channel distorts really fast.

Just put a Eminence Maverick with the attenuation built into the speaker for my DRRI. Just installed yesterday and gigged it last night. Normally have to play at about 3 on the volume in small club, was able to crank it on 5 and turn the speaker "volume" down, had it set for about 1/3-1/2 the attainable attenuation. The amp sounded great right on the edge of breakup for clean and a couple of OD at different levels to put it just over but all at manageable levels, the rest of the band was as amazed as I at the tone I was getting. Haven't tried at home yet but turning the attenuation up more should get me bedroom level at the sweetspot.

Yesterday in our local guitar center I saw a VOX AC-1 standing on the counter.

I tried it because of the built-in drum machine ... I thought, that might come in handy for quick timing trainings.

Long story short ... this baby is a blast for only 45 bucks.

PS: If you don't know this amp, you might think, it's a toy, but it's more a tool, though the heaphone output could be a bit better ... 32 ohm headphones recommended. And, btw, it looks cool on the living room shelf [thumbup]

PPS: Only downside: the clean channel distorts really fast.

I saw a demo on that.......I think I will be grabbing one.......seems like a ton of fun for the price!

NHTom

Yeah, just search Youtube for Vox AC1 ... you'll find lots of stuff.

I think for 45 bucks it's also a nice birthday gift for guitarists ... had much fun with it jamming solo on the balcony [thumbup] ... you can play crunchy even at very low volume, very neighbourhood friendly amp!

Archived