Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt D500MCE Bridge Pins

Cobalt

I bought a set of Tusk bridge pins but it seems that they are a bit too fat at the top.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/graph-tech-tusq-ivory-acoustic-guitar-bridge-pins

I think I needed to get this set:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/graph-tech-tusq-ivory-acoustic-guitar-bridge-pins

The pins I bought are called "presentation" style. They have a little fatter collar at the top. It says they can be sanded? Would that be the way to go or could the holes be drilled out a tiny bit? OR..should I just return them for the other ones?

Thanks.

Cobalt

From the pics it looks like the pins are not grooved, which would mean you'll need to either cut grooves in the pins or slots in the bridge holes. Probably best done by a luthier.

I would try a smaller size before modifying my guitar.

From the pics it looks like the pins are not grooved, which would mean you'll need to either cut grooves in the pins or slots in the bridge holes. Probably best done by a luthier.

I would try a smaller size before modifying my guitar.

Actually, they are grooved. Im going to return them. Im not much of a modder anyway.

Hi. I have a set of these "presentation pins"..from MF installed in my DR500MCE. They fit mine quite well. Remember that the presentation pins are supposed to stick up just a bit...enough to slide a pin puller under the head, leaving the the pins all equally raised just a bit equally across the bridge. Also some pins, if you switch them, may fit in the tighter or looser pin holes. The low E (6th string) would be the tightest because of the strings thickness, but one of the tusk pins might fit in it by experimenting with switching those pins around till you find the proper pin for the proper hole.Then I always use the same pin for the same holes when I change out the strings.At first, I thought the pins looked a bit odd as they had heads slightly bigger than normal, but have come to like them and the look very much. I notice on my guitar that they seem to produce a more open sound, perhaps that is just my ear. Good luck.

Hi. I have a set of these "presentation pins"..from MF installed in my DR500MCE. They fit mine quite well. Remember that the presentation pins are supposed to stick up just a bit...enough to slide a pin puller under the head, leaving the the pins all equally raised just a bit equally across the bridge. Also some pins, if you switch them, may fit in the tighter or looser pin holes. The low E (6th string) would be the tightest because of the strings thickness, but one of the tusk pins might fit in it by experimenting with switching those pins around till you find the proper pin for the proper hole.Then I always use the same pin for the same holes when I change out the strings.At first, I thought the pins looked a bit odd as they had heads slightly bigger than normal, but have come to like them and the look very much. I notice on my guitar that they seem to produce a more open sound, perhaps that is just my ear. Good luck.

I'm gonna chime in here because i was going to order a set as well, I thought these use the standard martin style and NOT the presentation pins?

I could be WRONG, but I thought for sure that I read that presentation style pins fit Martin guitars. These pins very well may work, I did not know that they actually are supposed to stick up a bit.

This doesnt make sense to me because graphtech offers 2 main types, presentation & traditional martin style.

If martins take presentation style pins, why offer a specific style referred to as the traditional martin?

http://www.graphtech.com/product-92-2/ <-- Traditional martin style

http://www.graphtech.com/product-86-2/ <-- Presentation style

So which is it for DR models? I assumed it would be traditional?

• 1 year later...

very best source for bridge pins... saddles and nuts is Bob Colosi.

Bob not only is an absolute expert on these items but offers the very finest materials, best appearance and custom made products

Just my two cents worth. I ALWAYS buy these items from him.

I am in NO WAY connected to him, just a very satisfied customer for years now

very best source for bridge pins... saddles and nuts is Bob Colosi.

Bob not only is an absolute expert on these items but offers the very finest materials, best appearance and custom made products

Just my two cents worth. I ALWAYS buy these items from him.

I am in NO WAY connected to him, just a very satisfied customer for years now

Thanks for the tip. I will check him out...

Archived