Gibson Brands Forums

Stop tail piece question.

Jimmikatt

I have noticed that some people string the stop tail piece in reverse.

it look like a standard tail piece, is this different.?

and i'm not talking about the 1 piece tail piece / bridge as on vintage 50's

they are still using the tune-o-matic bridge, Nashville version also.

is this preference of some players.? and it also looks like it would shorten the string life having such a sharp bend in the string.

I found an article about this here, it explains it pretty well if any one is interested, it's call top wrapping.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/string-theory-what-is-top-wrapping/

As you've only been a member since the 3rd of Jan you couldn't be expected to know but this subject gets flogged to death hereabouts three or four times a year on average.

Some players say they notice a slinkier feel with top-wrapping making bending easier. Some players say it makes no difference.

Some players say top-wrapping reduces break-angle at the rear of the bridge, increasing sustain as the bridge can be screwed all the way down.

Others say they have the bridge screwed all the way down anyway so it makes no difference...

Both camps can produce scientific data to 'prove' their own preference works.

'Top-wrappers' post pictures of famous guitarists - B.F. Gibbons and 'Pearly', say - with top-wrapped Lesters.

'Shot-through(?)' stringers post pictures of famous guitarists - B.F. Gibbons with 'Pearly' again - conventionally strung.

And on and on and on it goes........

Bottom line is try it for yourself and make up your own mind. Just don't expect everyone to agree with whatever you find to be the 'truth'. This subject always, but ALWAYS, polarises opinion.

P.

...If some of your lightest strings snaps off at the stop-tail,You would probably have to file/sand down (gently)

the sharp edges of the tail-stop,to prevent short-lived strings!..Personally It did not convince me about slinkier feel or tonal difference,or whatsoever..but I understand people doing this for the looks ! :)

..but remember,It WILL scratch up your bling & shiny stop-tail! ;)

Today I prefer normal wrapping ! :)

Cheers!

B)

sorry for the repost, but being new to this type of stringing, i didn't know what it was called at the time of the post to do a search.

and very shortly after a google search helped me sort it all out. it does look a little more vintage this way, but all said,

i would worry about scratching my gold hardware up, and string breakage.

what you are referring to shows up most commonly as "string wrap over stop piece, Les Paul Stop Bar" or something to that effect.

I'm not sure that there's an actual "term" for it.

And I think that's the down side, the strings will no doubt cut into the surface of your tail piece.

Easy to replace if you needed to have it all "minty" again tho.

..Of course,I`ve forgot..The therm of this kind of stringing, is called "top-wrapping" :)

If you wanna experiment with it,I would recommend have spare tail-stop for this kind of wrapping (aluminium,like tonepros,etc),

.. Unless you are not afraid to scratch up your shiny stock one ! ;)

Hi JimmiKat.

that Seymour Duncan link and subsequent Joe Bonamassa video talking about the JB SD pickups they made for him.

Yes JB pretty much top wraps every guitar he has but remember that he strings all his guitars with 11-58 and on the high E, B , G strings he uses nylon bridge saddles too.

just food for thought when watching that JB video

sorry for the repost, but being new to this type of stringing, i didn't know what it was called at the time of the post to do a search.

and very shortly after a google search helped me sort it all out. it does look a little more vintage this way, but all said,

i would worry about scratching my gold hardware up, and string breakage.

don't worry about scratching it. you'll get there anyway at some point. and its only a few bucks to replace. but like they said make sure edges aren't too sharp, or sand it

Archived