Gibson Brands Forums

Hamer guitars R.I.P.

heymisterk

<...>

The corporate bureaucrats will tend to blame market conditions, government, etc., but the bottom line is that without an expanding economy and a top-line emphasis, they found themselves in collapse.<...>

And to me that's the problem with corporatism. In a way, the stock market is a Ponzi scheme.

In order to keep the stockholders of a corporation happy, and to keep them from jumping ship, the corporation must grow and grow and grow. Each quarter's bottom line must be bigger than last quarter. But nothing can grow forever.

A small business, or any other business where all the owners are employed by the business is another thing. All it has to do is make enough money each year to pay the salaries of everyone and keep up with inflation.

But the corporation that is funded mostly by people who do not materially participate in the company which must grow and grow and grow to keep feeding the stockholders. This leads to a Ponzi scheme of over-consumption of the Earth's finite resources, shortening of product life (each corporation wants a 'Chiclets item' - something that is used, chewed up, disposed, and repurchased), and the eventual crash when it reaches saturation point and can no longer grow.

So what's the answer? I don't know. Certainly not communism, it is the complete opposite and it doesn't work either. It leads to under-consumption and shortages of everything, including basic needs.

Surely there must be a happy medium between the two extremes, and although I've thought about it a lot, it's just not my area of expertise so I can't figure the answer.

So what happened to Hamer has happened before and will happen again as long as we have the system of corporatism, brands that quit growing and growing and growing will simply crash and burn.

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

And to me that's the problem with corporatism. In a way, the stock market is a Ponzi scheme.

In order to keep the stockholders of a corporation happy, and to keep them from jumping ship, the corporation must grow and grow and grow. Each quarter's bottom line must be bigger than last quarter. But nothing can grow forever.

A small business, or any other business where all the owners are employed by the business is another thing. All it has to do is make enough money each year to pay the salaries of everyone and keep up with inflation.

But the corporation that is funded mostly by people who do not materially participate in the company which must grow and grow and grow to keep feeding the stockholders. This leads to a Ponzi scheme of over-consumption of the Earth's finite resources, shortening of product life (each corporation wants a 'Chiclets item' - something that is used, chewed up, disposed, and repurchased), and the eventual crash when it reaches saturation point and can no longer grow.

So what's the answer? I don't know. Certainly not communism, it is the complete opposite and it doesn't work either. It leads to under-consumption and shortages of everything, including basic needs.

Surely there must be a happy medium between the two extremes, and although I've thought about it a lot, it's just not my area of expertise so I can't figure the answer.

So what happened to Hamer has happened before and will happen again as long as we have the system of corporatism, brands that quit growing and growing and growing will simply crash and burn.

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

This is one of the clearest and best things I've read on this Forum so I have no qualms whatsoever about bumping this thread. I'm not trying to be pompous or patronising, and apologies if it seems that way - but please do read what Notes has written.

This is one of the clearest and best things I've read on this Forum so I have no qualms whatsoever about bumping this thread. I'm not trying to be pompous or patronising, and apologies if it seems that way - but please do read what Notes has written.

Totally agree with Norton! That's just the way it is!

Archived