Gibson Brands Forums

How to make a 1951 J-45 sound like a violin?

tvguit

This is a beautiful little tune that incorporates bit of something different. At least I have never seen that before. Skip to 1:16 if you aren't interested in the tune itself.

Dang, that is WEIRD! And wonderful. So, does he have some strings stuck in his soundhole that he pulls out? Very inventive. I thought the camera should have gone right to him when he started with that sound at 1:16.

Oh, wait... the youtube kept playing just now (after the credits rolled... I had temporarily abandoned that browser window to write this post) and I went back to it and after the 3 minute mark, there is a scene with a kid pulling/plucking a string.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this with us. If I hadn't seen the video but had only heard the recording, I would have thought that he was using an EBow.

I would have thought that too but the eBow has a lot smoother sound than this. It almost sounds like he is running a bow quick and light across the string. Very cool tone. I might have to try it one day.

I'm not sure what he is using but I thought it might be some horse hair from a broken bow.

Archived