Gibson Brands Forums

Hey guys answer this question for me before I rip an eBay seller a new one!

meanstreak

I won this auction for a H-Bird pickguard off a 1996 Hummingbird. There were several pics but they didn't show the thickness of the guard. I expected it to be like the thick guard on the new Gibson Hummingbirds, and he even had a picture of the guard on a vintage sunburst Gibson guitar. BUT when I get it in the mail it is actually the same thickness as the one on my 1994 Epi Hummingbird. Is this correct? Am I to blame for not being aware of the specs on a 1996, or have I (and maybe the seller too) been scammed? Please let me know if I should rip him a new one or chalk it up to being an idiot!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Acoustic-Hummingbird-used-Pick-Guard-/130830656344

I won this auction for a H-Bird pickguard off a 1996 Hummingbird. There were several pics but they didn't show the thickness of the guard. I expected it to be like the thick guard on the new Gibson Hummingbirds, and he even had a picture of the guard on a vintage sunburst Gibson guitar. BUT when I get it in the mail it is actually the same thickness as the one on my 1994 Epi Hummingbird. Is this correct? Am I to blame for not being aware of the specs on a 1996, or have I (and maybe the seller too) been scammed? Please let me know if I should rip him a new one or chalk it up to being an idiot!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Acoustic-Hummingbird-used-Pick-Guard-/130830656344

That a better pickguard than the thick one. The thick one wasn't used in the 90s as far as I'm aware and you can't wear it out

Unless the seller represented the scratchplate as being a certain thickness, I would say you got nothing to complain about. There was nothing keeping you from asking the seller a question before you bid. No need to kick yourself though - many of us have been there. I sure have. Generally even though what I bought would not work out as well as I hoped for the intended project I usually do find a use for the stuff down the road. A truss rod cover and set of old Kluson tuners I snagged off eBay in the past year come to mind.

Well! The results are in and it's unanimous. 3 out of 3 judges agree that I am, in fact, an idiot! LOL! Ya looks like it's my fault, no worries though, I'll just scrape off the remaining paint and put the guard on my Epi Masterbilt DR-500M! Bet it will look pretty good actually! Thanks for the info guys!

Archived