Gibson Brands Forums

Not so much playing tips, but singing tips, needed!

I've been playing guitar for about seven years, and I play in several different bands. One thing that I've always had trouble with, but really have to get better it is singing. The singer and rhythm guitarist of one of my bands has been pushing me to start singing, and I actually got over my fear to sing one song on the last gig we played. Apparently I can hit the right notes well enough that people don't cover their ears and run away, but I know I've got to get better.

First off, I have a huge fear of singing. I don't know why, because I mostly got over stage fright a long time ago and have played guitar in front of audiences of thousands of people. But singing terrifies me. I think it's because there's such a huge gap between my hardly passible singing skills and much better guitar skills.

Second, I think I sound weak. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but even when I try to belt it, I just sound like a little girl. (I'm 20, and a girl, so that's actually probably something normal.) Is there a way to actually practice that like a guitar technique to get better at it?

I could really use any advise all you people who weren't a natural born singer, but learned, have for me.

The one thing I found that really helps tune in my voice is acapella singing. After you find the keys that your range can work with, or strumming out the first few chords of a song, I'll sing it through unaccompanied. As for 'belting out'...can't handle that anymore. When Katy Perry sings out she sounds like a 20 year old girl, so I wouldn't worry about that. Soft, low vocals help me stretch out my pipes and even helps with my falsetto, which I always had. Go deep.

I'm too chicken to sing out, so only friends, family and dogs get the dubious pleasure.

I've been playing guitar for about seven years, and I play in several different bands. One thing that I've always had trouble with, but really have to get better it is singing. The singer and rhythm guitarist of one of my bands has been pushing me to start singing, and I actually got over my fear to sing one song on the last gig we played. Apparently I can hit the right notes well enough that people don't cover their ears and run away, but I know I've got to get better.

First off, I have a huge fear of singing. I don't know why, because I mostly got over stage fright a long time ago and have played guitar in front of audiences of thousands of people. But singing terrifies me. I think it's because there's such a huge gap between my hardly passible singing skills and much better guitar skills.

Second, I think I sound weak. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but even when I try to belt it, I just sound like a little girl. (I'm 20, and a girl, so that's actually probably something normal.) Is there a way to actually practice that like a guitar technique to get better at it?

I could really use any advise all you people who weren't a natural born singer, but learned, have for me.

how to sing better

look to the link I inserted. It´s from Youtube and the guy is very good in singing and showing how to sing right! In one or two of the clips he teaches the basic of singing better. If you are two singers in your band, you can improve the sound very much.

There have been past threads sharing vocal trials and tribulations...

One very important thing is to 'do the time'

Many wannabe vocalists spend very little time singing and wonder why they sound less than fantastic...

Do get lessons from a professional...worth every penny and more... [thumbup]

Do 'open mic' sessions either alone or with friends...and undertake to do them every week without fail... [-X

Prepare to be under-par every now and then...learn to bounce back...even mid-song...

Warm the voice up properly before stepping onstage...it works better even with only 10mins or so...

Ensure the songs are in comfortable keys vocally...

Prepare to work hard...set targets of 1 month...6 months etc to review progress...

V

:-({|=

• 5 months later...

I've been here, just where you are, maybe 20/25 years ago.

(some points here have been mentioned in the previous replies - eg: find easy keys, yelling.. etc so having said that)...

First off, if you really want to do this you need loose the fear. This is going to just stop you in your tracks. No one is going to take a gun to your head if you hit a bad note (or 10!) Remember, you can't make an omelet with out breaking a few eggs!

When you sing, no matter what it is, (a song you wrote, or a cover) you have to "own" it, don't worry about singing a cover like the original artist, you don't have their voice, you have your voice. you just need to learn how to use it.

Don't worry about perfection, lots and lots of pros have made lucrative careers with sub par vocal abilities. These people are successful because they feel it, they own it. They don't need to be perfect, but they are getting right to the point and they are confident, and have zero inhibitions.

To get a foot hold on your voice, find songs in keys that are easy to sing (G or C are usually easy keys to start out in.) and also try to find songs that you really know cold. Just at first, keep it simple.

Breathing is huge, take a good chunk of air into your lungs at the start of each phrase, and breath in between, (you'll find the spaces where you can draw in fresh air) The idea is, always have some air in your lungs to push your diaphragm, having enough air is critical especially as you get near the end of a verse or a phrase. Lack of air it's going to make your notes drift sharp or flat and the volume your singing at is going to drop off noticeably. Point is, keep an air supply handy! Just realize that you do have to develop a solid breathing cadence.

Think about the voice you yell in, that is the voice you sort of need to sing in, this will engage the diaphragm and keep it out of your throat. I'm not suggestion you start SCREAMING, just realize that you have to move some air out of your diaphragm to sing properly.

If you have the ability to plug a guitar and mic into a sound mixer, and then use headphones, do it (if the mixer has a reverb go ahead and use some, but don't go crazy, just enough to add some space / ambiance for you. Too much reverb is like playing guitar with a lot of distortion/and effects - going to "hide" things.) Working with this sort of setup tho will help you really hear everything your doing, and you will slowly learn your notes, as well as your breathing cadence and with that, will come some much needed confidence (which leads to "owning" what your singing)

Practice, practice, practice.... think of your voice as another instrument, you have to practice to develop your vocal chops just as you had to do the same to learn guitar. Not too many people walk up to a mic and just start singing, (I agree that there are some who are naturals, most of us need to develop our vocal chops -- I know I did and I have to work it constantly - I was not born with a set of golden pipes.)

Lastly, if you are at a total loss, look for a vocal instructor to give you some basics. I think if you are diligent, and patient, (and not afraid to hit some wrong notes, cuz you are gonna) you'll eventually find your way. (just like learning to play guitar, It's not going to happen over night. Stay with it.. just like with your guitar playing you'll get it.)

Good luck!

/Ray

Hi!

A lot of people gave some good advice! The best is CONFIDENCE! Own the song your singing, even use your own personal experiences to relate to the emotions your trying to relay through the song.

Additionally, if you *can* afford vocal lessons, go for it. If not, here's some pointers. Sing from your gut, not your throat. You need to engage your diaghram. You'll better optimize your vocal range by doing this and reduce the risk of straining your vocal chords. Breathe when the song allows, not at the beginning of each verse. You're almost taking shallow breaths. Another good one I learned (it's a bit counter intuitive, but works!), when you want to reach a high note that is at the very top of your range think "low" ( vice versa for low notes at the bottom of your range - think "high"). This keeps you from tightening up your neck muscles and vocal chords. Furthermore, keep your jaw loose. When you are singing a song with a word that ends in "r", make it sound like an "a" sound. Keeping you jaw loose will assist in that because when you make a hard "r" sound you are tightening up your jaw. One final tip to help you with breathing and engaging your diagram, try either standing up straight or lie down flat on the floor. Put your hand on your diagram ( directly under your rib cage) and sing. Another tip: sing songs you like and know, you will feel more confident. Also, have fun! You play your guitar to have fun, so why not have fun singing? Finally, when you are singing on stage and you mess up a word or verse, keep going! People won't really notice you messed up unless you stumble or stutter which highlights the blunder. If you just keep going, you don't highlight it and people will be less likely to notice!

Good luck and hope you have fun! :)

Archived