Gibson Brands Forums

My 2011 SG Standard.

slavestate

Hello there,

I have been playing the **** out of my SG and love every second of it. Everything about this thing screams comfortable playability. I went from an Epiphone G400 to this SG Standard and I'm so grateful to have made the leap.

I've had this thing for just over a year and it's held up great. I have since replaced the wiring harness along with the truss rod cover and knobs. I did plan on a creme pickguard, but if I put a new one on there it wouldn't look right as this thing has its share of nicks, scrapes and dings. Of course, I've kept the neck clean and free of dings. I make an exception for the body and headstock because that's just patina, very rapid patina.

Here she is in her glory!

DSC_0748_zpsacaf9230.jpg

DSC_0750_zps66d29206.jpg

DSC_0751_zps3b35bded.jpg

DSC_0752_zps1878c7a5.jpg

DSC_0753_zpsf5605acd.jpg

Lastly with the rig I'm currently using.

DSC_0756_zpsea443593.jpg

Enjoy!

Very nice SG and a very fine amp to play it through also. I like black SG's and almost got myself one instead of the naturalburst I currently own. Did you notice a change in sound when hardwiring it compared to the stock PC board?? How does the SG400 compare to this standard of yours??? How much of a different in feel and sound was there? I know some of the epiphones have very good sounding pick ups in them as I have had exerience with them in the past and they were really not all that shabby either by the way. I wish I still had my epiphone standard les paul. It played great and sounded good too. Tim

Very nice SG and a very fine amp to play it through also. I like black SG's and almost got myself one instead of the naturalburst I currently own. Did you notice a change in sound when hardwiring it compared to the stock PC board?? How does the SG400 compare to this standard of yours??? How much of a different in feel and sound was there? I know some of the epiphones have very good sounding pick ups in them as I have had exerience with them in the past and they were really not all that shabby either by the way. I wish I still had my epiphone standard les paul. It played great and sounded good too. Tim

The Epiphone G400 I own has had a long history of abuse. When I first purchased it about a month after the neck broke off the body down by the horns, it's quite odd how it happened. I had it on my back in a gig bag and I erratically sat down for some reason and SNAP. So I had a local luthier fix it for me very cheap as he was a friend of the family. He also set it up for me too and it honestly played better than it did before I unintentionally broke it. That was my first "real" guitar and I learned to love it. In retrospect it had too thick of a neck and too wide of a nut for my taste, so when I picked up my SG it felt more comfortable however I think the playability of both is mere preference. I do love the smaller nut though, it feels much better in my hands... Ha.

It's interesting you bring up the pick ups in the Epiphone. I have noticed that with insane fuzz, overdrive and other dirty sounds it really thrived, while on my Gibson it tends to sound better with a bit of bite to the tone while keeping a cleaner sound. Both do have their spot, the Epiphone is tuned into Concert C with 11/54's while the Gibson is tuned in Concert E or Drop D with 10/46's. I use the Epiphone for slower heavy rock stuff my buddy and I jam on sometimes, while I would say 95% of the time I'm using the Gibson. With the prices of some of the Epiphone G400's these days it's a great starter guitar, but I think for just a couple hundred more you can find a nice Special or well used Gibson that will do the job too.

I like the black SG, but my next one will have some wood grain for sure. Preferably a burst like the one you have. They're all gravy in my book.

Yea some of the pic ups in those epi's are kick a$$. My friend has a epi sg with a bolt on neck and it flat out screams compared to the SG standard of his. I prefer the bite on the stock pick ups in my SG which are the 498 and is probably the same as in yours. I get good response with them on pick attack. Did you remove the circuit board in your SG and re wire it hardwire style???? If so did you notice a difference in sound??? Tim

Yea some of the pic ups in those epi's are kick a$$. My friend has a epi sg with a bolt on neck and it flat out screams compared to the SG standard of his. I prefer the bite on the stock pick ups in my SG which are the 498 and is probably the same as in yours. I get good response with them on pick attack. Did you remove the circuit board in your SG and re wire it hardwire style???? If so did you notice a difference in sound??? Tim

I did take out the circuit board and installed a wiring harness. I have to say it does sound much better than before, I especially notice the difference when on the neck pickup and with the tone knobs. I don't tend to get as much tone bleed when I turn down the volumes and I don't even have a resistor wired in.

Here's what the guts look like:

DSC_0744_zps1b6944d5.jpg

I was actually considering buying a gutted SG body off of the bay and then putting all the components from the Epiphone into it. It'd be a good project I think, mainly because the Epiphones playability at this point is close to none.

Archived