Gibson Brands Forums

Banner Years (early 40's J 200)

JuanCarlosVejar

Great question!

Gibson built the SJ-200 far longer than most know -- well into the war. I've got my notes from reviewing the ledgers and I'll dig up my last recorded date of an SJ-200 shipping.

With 2 exceptions, Gibson only put the "Banner" on the flattop models new for 1942/43: J-45, J-50, SJ, the 3 LG models. The 2 exceptions are the L-00 and L-50, which on occasion mysteriously received a Banner. Here's my explanation from the book (still at the printer!):

BannerL-50ampL-00page181_zpsac8a7de4.jpg

So, no Banner SJ-200s ... yet. But, who knows, a newly employed and untrained Gal may have slapped one on the King of Flattops.

My memory wasn't quite accurate. My last recorded shipping date for an SJ-200 is November 19, 1942.

That's not definitive because I was counting Banners at the time but did think to write down the last dates I saw SJ-100s, SJ-200s, J-55s, L-00s, and L-0s.

BannerL-50ampL-00page181_zpsac8a7de4.jpg

Hah

good bit of writing there JT.. I had to re-read the first paragraph a few times.. as all the model number can got me a little confused. That's just my lack of knowledge though.

Being a Gibson fan, I 'got' the little in joke straight away.. and you go on to the flesh the whole tounge in cheek jive out brilliantly. Got me interested in the rest of the book for sure.

cheers for that

JT that's really interesting about the L50 and L00- have you found any L50s that were confirmed wartime models that didn't have the banner? Quick searches of the internet show only a few for sale, with banner.

I ask because I have what I thought was a script logo, dot inlay 46 L48 with no discernible model number on the inside, but now you've got me thinking!

JT that's really interesting about the L50 and L00- have you found any L50s that were confirmed wartime models that didn't have the banner? Quick searches of the internet show only a few for sale, with banner.

I ask because I have what I thought was a script logo, dot inlay 46 L48 with no discernible model number on the inside, but now you've got me thinking!

Cunningham,

Most wartime L-50s ( and L-00s) did not have the Banner. But, every now and then on the third day after a new moon ... someone made a mistake and slapped Banners on them.

Archived