Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 Pro further analysis

geeterpicker

I've owned the L-00 Pro for a month now and, after waiting for band members to get past illnesses, crises, funerals and all kinds of issues, we got together for a well overdue play yesterday. I took my new Gibson. Competing instruments were a J-45 circa '03 or so with RW B/S and a natural top; a Collings MF mando and a Hofner Beatle bass. We play a bluegrass tinged blend of music (even Beatles) and a good stock of originals. We sit in a circle and practice acoustically, except for the bass which he runs through a small GK for practice. The first tune we did was Pete Rowan's You Were There for Me. I felt the L-00 held its own and the solo sung out nicely among the other instruments. I did sense a lack of power, though, but that was not unexpected. After we'd played several tunes, I brought this up, but the others said they could hear the guitar plenty. They stated the tonal range was narrower, but the presence was definitely there. Our mando player also plays guitar, so he used the L-00 while I played mando. We're all right handed. I sat in the "hot spot", which we define as the chair to the right where you catch the sound reflecting off the back bout of the guitar. While his touch is a little lighter than mine, I could hear the L-00 quite well. Those who sat directly across from it also said it was putting out. Yet, as the player, you sense when you want to dig a bit deeper and know that the guitar is giving you all it can. None of us felt it getting overdriven, though. As I expected, it produced that shimmer that seems only a Gibson gives on rhythm and lead notes seemed to pop out. I do both flatpicking and fingerpicking with picks. The L-00 really shined when given some good old alternating thumb style blues. Then I played my friend's J-45 for a few tunes and of course immediately felt the extra oomph. The OM-18V I used to have had power to spare, but it also had a very wide string spacing that, as I have aged, became uncomfortable. It didn't bother me at all when I first got it, but boy, age is inexorible.

So I thought the L-00 did quite well, though I think it is best suited for solo or duo applications. When you play a rollicking bluegrasser with a band, one will prefer a bigger guitar with a broader spectrum. Of course, if you plug in the L-00, it could be a whole other ballgame. I am extremely pleased with my new Gibson and have no regrets of letting go of the Martin as much as I loved its tone. The Gibson works better for me. I see using it for gentler tunes and for the fingerpicking things when we play out, but not for everything. The rowdy ones need my adi topped H&D CM. Now that is one loud guitar.

Hopefully, this little test will help anyone out there thinking of acquiring a smaller guitar.

good review Brian - yea it seems to me the L-00 would be best suited being the main act so to speak in an ensemble, or particular song. I could see where banjo's, those sonic projecting Martins,etc could overwhelm the little guy. Glad you were able to get together with the bandmates. Been fighting a cold myself lately and a never ending work schedule. Good review.

Thanks for the review. Your experience mirrors my own. Playing out with a small acoustic group where I was the only guitar, I was unable to project the way I would like with the L00. Plugging in is not an option with this group which plays tunes that were written before we had electricity in the South. Going to the J50 took care of that.

Then, later, playing in a very large group jam, I was lost again among 5 Martins and about 12 other acoustic instruments of various kinds. Luckily there were no banjos. Next month, I'm taking the AJ.

Play the L00 to make music and get some rosewood to make loud music.

I've always wanted something like the L-00, mainly for fingerpicking. Seems like my slope D's and sometimes even my Jackson Browne are just a bit too powerful and bass heavy to get the sound I'm looking for. Your description makes me want one even more. I think it would be a nice color to have in the arsenal. Oh well, maybe someday. Thanks so much for posting your findings.

Larry

JD, the only time I plugged in was at the store. The sound is OK. The low E was dominant and the sound was a bit of that piezo tone, which I don't care for. I am considering replacing it with a K&K, but that will be down the road. For now it will do. It's not awful, just OK. Guitar Center has them exclusively. I think they are on Musician's Friend, too, but that is the same affiliation.

Archived