Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup swap! 498t, 500t, Bareknuckles, or??

outforblood

Well, it's that time of year... I have a Seymour Duncan SH-6 (Distortion) that I'm getting tired of because of the upper mids and harsh cleans. Sounds ok with high gain, just needs more lower mid growl I guess. What would be a good pickup for a Gibson SG Gothic? The fretboard is ebony... I don't know how big of a tonal difference that makes. I can't really tell a difference between rosewood and ebony except the feel. I'm looking at the 498t, 500t, and maybe a Bareknuckle Warpig or Nailbomb. I run direct into a 5150 stack. I play thrash/hardcore. Thanks in advance.

I have a 500T in my V and it gives a lot of chunk to my rhythm playing. Check out a Seymour Duncan Invader too. Those will give you a lot of oomph. A friend of mine put one in the bridge position on a Squier Strat (uses it as kind of a beater for gigs) and he gets a really good sound out of it.

Hmmm. I wouldn't say the 500T is harsh, but they're definitely not the cleanest thing you can put in there. You could always put the pickup in, and move it so it's not as close to the strings to clean things up a bit.

I'd say if you want a good balance between cleans and dirty, keep the pickups that you already have in your SG, and maybe consider an overdrive pedal or something to give your distortion sound something extra. -Like a Tube Screamer, or a DOD Preamp 250, or even a Boss OD-1. I use my Tube Screamer through my 5150 to give it a little boost when needed. -You don't need a lot because the 5150 already has a ton of gain. I have the drive set at about 2, the tone at 12, and the level set according to how loud my amp is already.

Archived