Gibson Brands Forums

The Dove

JuanCarlosVejar

If you follow the Gibson culture on this merry forum and actually also elsewhere, the funny and interesting thing about the Dove, is that it's seriously in the shadows of the 2 year older co-bird, starting with H, but always very warm embraced when brought out in the light. People talk about old Doves like old loves, but often - for one reason or another - had to let them pass and never really got them replaced. 'Blame' the Hum over Dove on the maple, on the higher tag or on Keith Richards, what do we know. Okay, Presley Doved quite a deal too, but then again you couldn't hear what he was doin'. Guess Tom Petty wasn't big enough to make it a myth and besides entered the circus too late.

Vintage and semi vintage, original Dove-owners should chime in. I called for some Dove response 1 ½ half year ago or so and some did. Look it up, if possible.

Now, I never played a 60's model, but most of us know a part of them had the tune o'matic saddle. We also know the bridge has a shape of its own and that they were/are long scaled. My guess would be that they followed the waves of bracing changes up through the decade and kind of 'landed' around '68-70, further into the 70ties.

I own a Dove. It is from '96 and well broken in. It is smooth, responsive and maple sirup comes a'dripping from the 3-point guard from third of forth touch. The huge wingspan with new strings mellows down as they fade and at a certain stage becomes so soft, it can only be played after midnite. Never the less the cherry bodied square is one mighty guitar with significant personality and a broad range of possibilities. Will I keep it, , , , will it survive the F-bird, , , , still don't know.

But it is obvious why the model grew to be the classic it is – though so often flying behind the trees.

I had an early 60's Dove which I bought in later part of 70's for $297 aprox..(those prks really did squeeze every dime out of me...48th St Syvestant Music NYC)

Nice electric style neck but like most Gibson Acoustics of early 60's-89' not too good(at best).

That guitars replacement was a new 1983 D35 which was very much an upgrade over it.

A new Bozeman Dove is very..very much an upgrade to those original Dove's.

Original Doves have a rep of great necks but some tops virtually collapse(as mine) because of something like not tucking the ends of the braces..and so some come loose..as mine..

But I read not all of them.

And mine was useable but had no pickguard.

My guess would be that they followed the waves of bracing changes up through the decade and kind of 'landed' around '68-70, further into the 70ties.

I would imagine like all Gibsons of the 1960s, they were made with non-scalloped top braces.

Yes, Zomb - but we have to remember the different amount of mass through the decade

That's.... just bizarre. What happened to that guard ?

Disintegrating nitrocellulose. It happens. I have a 1947 guard removed from my L-7 that is doing the same thing. You also see it on nitro (tortoise-style) bindings.

I have no idea why it happens sometimes, but not always. By the way, that stuff is extremely flammable.

Yes, Zomb - but we have to remember the different amount of mass through the decade

Remember that mass is a function of the total cross-sectional area. Tall, thin scalloped braces and short fat braces can have the same mass, but it may be distributed differently under the top.

Remember that mass is a function of the total cross-sectional area. Tall, thin scalloped braces and short fat braces can have the same mass, but it may be distributed differently under the top.

After comparing research inside pre/post 1968 boxes, it's obvious that there's less brace-mass to the early models.

Thus freer top and looser, often lifier, even louder voices from those instuments. A thing we know so well all of us guitar-speakers around the forum campfire.

I just try to make things clear for the common spectator, Nick.

Remind you - the whole world is watching our little freakshow circus. . .

here's a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUR2g80VZFs

thanks to everyone

JC

I bet all the geeks and dorks here could understand every single thing he was talking about - even if it was Japanese?

I don't have a Dove Gibson, but I have two real Doves who have taken over my verandah roof and one of them sits there saying: "The Frets Are Loose, The Frets Are Loose!!!!!"

BluesKing777.

Here is ours -- 1965

Doves_zps5617d51c.jpg

It is one or our worm eating early birds -- '62 and '65

60gibsons.jpg

I don't have a picture of the Dove bracing, but I do for the Hummingbird. I expect they are similar -- I'll take pictures for the Dove next week.

Hbirdbraces.jpg

A bit rough and heavy compared to golden era guitars I would say. No scallops.

Both of these guitar were folk revival era guitars. That music is more inclusive and mostly vocally focused, and less powerful than the the traditional genres from which is drew much of its materials. These guitars are well matched to the mild, strummed backup styles that dominated the era. The are warm and blended -- good for strumming and not so good for lead picking and power backup.

We never "demoed" these, but we used them for some of our "the way we were" videos where we sang 60s songs in 60s styles using 60s instruments.

Dove

Dove

Maple in general does not work as well for us because we lean more toward multi-instrument groups where mahogany holds up better.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I don't have a Dove Gibson, but I have two real Doves who have taken over my verandah roof and one of them sits there saying: "The Frets Are Loose, The Frets Are Loose!!!!!"

BluesKing777.

We have those kind of doves at our house as well, but we refer to them as an "owl's breakfast" for our resident rodent exterminators, who also enjoy the occasional lighter bit of fare. We refer to the local power lines, which are a favorite perch of doves, as the "owl feeder".

Nice pictures, tpbiii. That rosewood saddled Bird must be a mild singer. Clean as kid inside (apart from a little plate-wear).

And the Dove - which I persume is louder - is one of those without the color green on the guard. Looks good.

Be happy -

I don't have a picture of the Dove bracing, but I do for the Hummingbird. I expect they are similar -- I'll take pictures for the Dove next week.

Hbirdbraces.jpg

A bit rough and heavy compared to golden era guitars I would say. No scallops.

-Tom

I've never seen a 'bird with a plastic bridge before. That bridge plate is a bit on the rough side as well.

The bracing looks fairly typical of Gibsons from the 60's, in my experience.

Archived