Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings

Father O'Blivion

Hello there! I'm the proud new owner of a 1994 G-400 (photos to come soon. so I'm checking in to see what tips I can get from this message board. I'm from central Virginia and I'm relatively untrained on guitar although I've been able to plunk around on one for a long time. Looking forward to hearing from other SG owners and hearing good and bad aspects of the instrument.

The good on the SG is that if it's set up well for what you play, it's a marvelous guitar to play a lot, and in almost any music style.

The bad thing is that if it ain't set up well for what you play, and if you then don't play it a lot, it sits in the case and doesn't do anybody much good.

<grin>

m

I'm really happy with the two I have even tho I don't give them enough attention. I've got two hands and about twenty five guitars! My Cherry version is from the early '90's and it has dot fret markers while my Black version is a block inlay version from about 2001.

Mark Keesee

I'm from central Virginia

We forgive you Father. (kidding)

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Congrats on the guitar.

The only thing I've ever heard an SG owner complain about is neck dive if you play it standing.

Most have no problem solving it with a wide strap.

Of course, there are those chosen few that have taken the higher road...

strapbuttons_zpsfec1f543.jpg

Willy

I've got a few G-400's, a lot of guitar for the money. Certainly one of the world's sleekest, sexiest guitar designs. With that long neck, they're ideal for soloing. How many other guitars have a neck/body junction at the 22nd fret? Neck dive is only an issue if you're doing something with both hands and with a guitar swinging around your neck, which isn't a good idea in the first place. I don't consider it a valid complaint. If it takes two hands, put the guitar down.

Tons of online instruction these days. Great time to be playing guitar. You can learn songs on YouTube in minutes (although some videos are better than others). I also use some of the tab sites to learn songs. Sometimes riffs and chords are hard to figure out.

The first thing I want to say, is "WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!" Nice to have a member of the clergy here. [flapper][rolleyes][lol]

Even though I do not own an SG, I would like to point out one thing about them. I've read plenty of threads about this issue on this forum.

Be very careful that you don't knock it over onto the neck.

The SG is known for a neck joint that won't stand up to abuse.

Other than that, they are a great guitar for a lot of different music styles.

But, they are most known for straight ahead ROCK. After all, Angus plays one.

Welcome Father - any relation to Father Ted?

I love my G400 - the playability of the SG neck is outstanding. I have oft times thought about a Gibson SG standard because the one thing I would prefer is a bound neck but the Epi is still supernly playable.

I do have an upgrade kit for mine - new pups and a jimmy page four pot wiring kit which I'll get installed somewhere down the road. I am also going a fit a spare Roland GK pickup or might wait for the forthcoming Fishman Triple Play wireless midi.

Great guitar with or without modifications.

Be very careful that you don't knock it over onto the neck.

The SG is known for a neck joint that won't stand up to abuse.

Well, you shouldn't be abusing any guitar, or knocking it over, or dropping it on the floor. I've been playing for decades and never damaged one, let alone broken a neck. If you're that hard on your instruments, you might want to consider something like a tuba.

Well, you shouldn't be abusing any guitar, or knocking it over, or dropping it on the floor. I've been playing for decades and never damaged one, let alone broken a neck. If you're that hard on your instruments, you might want to consider something like a tuba.

DEFINITELY agree bluemans.

It does seem however, that there are some models of guitars (maybe it's the type of player) that are more prone to this type of incident. :rolleyes:

DEFINITELY agree bluemans.

It does seem however, that there are some models of guitars (maybe it's the type of player) that are more prone to this type of incident. :rolleyes:

Right. Anything with an angled headstock, which is almost all Gibsons and Epi's, will break easier than one with a straight headstock, like a Fender. But that's only with rough treatment. Put them in a case when you're not playing them, and nothing's going to happen. Leave it laying on the floor, or leaning against an amp, and things happen. There's really no excuse to break the neck on a guitar. Funny, Fender players tout bolt-on necks as this huge advantage, because "When you break the neck off, it's easy to put a new one on." What are these guys, chimps?

Father Vivian O'Blivion

Resplendent in his frock

Was whipping up the batter

For the pancakes of his flock

He was looking rather bleary

(He forgot to watch the clock)

'Cause the night before

Behind the door

A leprechaun had stroked, yes . . .

The night before

Behind the door

A leprechaun had stroked (he stroked it) . . .

The night before

Behind the door

A leprechaun had stroked . . . his . . .

Sma-ah-ah

Ah-ah-ah

Ah-ah-ah

Ah-ah-ah

Ah-ah-ah

Ah-ah-ah

Ahhh (stroked his smock)

Which set him off in such a frenzy

He sang LOCK AROUND THE CROCK

FZ

Archived