Gibson Brands Forums

War Time "The Gibson" SJ

JuanCarlosVejar

From a layman's position I would really want to have that guitar checked out closely before I opened up my wallet. I have never seen a Gibson logo that sloppy. Granted though it was wartime and maybe Gibson just did not have anyone with experienced enough hands to do that much inlay. Also note that the tuners look to be sealed Klusons which did not show up until the late 1940s or early 1950s.

Not saying it is or it isn't but I get real nervous when I hear "one of" applied to anything. It is often hard as all get out to verify.

From a layman's position I would really want to have that guitar checked out closely before I opened up my wallet. I have never seen a Gibson logo that sloppy. Granted though it was wartime and maybe Gibson just did not have anyone with experienced enough hands to do that much inlay. Also note that the tuners look to be sealed Klusons which did not show up until the late 1940s or early 1950s.

Not saying it is or it isn't but I get real nervous when I hear "one of" applied to anything. It is often hard as all get out to verify.

Zomby,

Oh, I agree. That's why I'd like to know the FON and to inspect it in person.

Could be a jumbo body with a replacement neck from an L-7 arch top.Once a neck pops off for a neck reset, who's to say. I wonder if there is any factory documentation for this one in the Gibson records?

Wily,

Excellent point. The ledgers don't list FONs for the shipment of new flattops, but they do list the FONs of guitars taken in for repairs. So, if I get an FOn, I can check it out.

Interesting logo on the SJ. That, The Gibson, logo went out by 1932 on most production guitars.

More interesting on that site is the 1931 L1. I have never seen one like that. Looks like a Kel Kroyden, SS Stewart body with a Gibson truss rod neck and new white logo. Never seen that.

Never been to this site, interesting collection of guitars.

Terry

Could be a jumbo body with a replacement neck from an L-7 arch top.Once a neck pops off for a neck reset, who's to say. I wonder if there is any factory documentation for this one in the Gibson records?

I don't think the L-7 or any Gibson got split parellelegram inlays until the the early 1940's, and Gibson had stopped using the slanted "The Gibson" script long before that, and was using the straight script "Gibson" by then. By the forties, Gibson was also usually putting the crown inlay in the center of archtop headstocks. Given the odd combination of features on the headstock in the pictures, I wouldn't be surprised this was a custom order.

Red 333

anyone ever seen one of these ? this is certainly a first for me ! :

There are a couple of odd things about this guitar. Even the body shape doesn't look quite right. The waist looks like a sharp point of inflection, which may be an optical illusion.

As far as that logo goes, maybe it was a later custom headstock inlay, like that on the headstock of my old J-45. I can see this forum in 50 years discussing whether or not my old J-45 is a real Gibson because of the odd headstock inlays....

headstock.jpg

Again, the fact the store claims that they went through the trouble to find correct period tuners for the guitar is strange. Those ain't period tuners which might indicate these guys just ain't all that knowedgeable about these guitars. Not saying they are not - just this kinda stuff looks like a rookie mistake.

Archived