Gibson Brands Forums

NGD LP Sig T

Hydra26

Well, I got one of the new signature T's with min etune. Gotta change the strings and do a couple minor things, but liking it a lot. Aside from a little balance bias towards the neck (I wouldn't call it dive), it plays a lot like my buddy's 86 standard that I've been wanting to *ahem* bump him off and acquire. [biggrin] Got the call at work today, less than a week after it had to be ordered from the factory so I drove the hour and a half out there after my shift.

20130222_185814_zpsda932164.jpg

That looks just awesome, take it out of the case, let it breathe, play with It a while... HNGD to you sir..

What kind of specs do those have?

Oh definitely, and thanks. That was about 2 sec before I took it out at the store to give it a good spin before driving it home.

It has a weight relieved mahog back, mine was one piece. AA maple cap, min e tune system, the neck is pretty thin and feels a little wide. Kind of like an explorer. Granadillo fretboard. Coil tapped 57 set. Not really sure what else to mention. To me its pretty classic looking, no pun intended. I plan to put covers on the pups and change out the strings soon.

The tone is very rich but just a tad too bright for my personal liking. Different strings will help a LOT with that from prior experience. Should make it a lot more bloomy and give it a nice punchy low end once I get nickel strings on. On the strap I have, it likes to try and sit with the neck level rather than slightly up so it's not so much neck dive as it wants to sit a different way than I would ideally like, but it's not a big deal. It feeds back a little at high gain, more than any of my solids or my deluxe but much less than my 08 robot with the chambered body (which would generate piercing feedback at high volume, even with my hand muting the strings).

Overall, I like it a lot. There's some minor "getting used to" things for me but nothing much. I thought the body felt a little thicker but I think I'm just getting older and more massive in general. The tuning is fun, but sometimes I feel like it says "good enough" and shuts off too early. Supposedly it learns, so hopefully it'll get better. It IS very quick. The guitar did not come with a manual for the min etune system so I've had to download it online. I'll have to get around to printing the thing off so I can read thorugh it. Wasn't real happy about that part, but maybe that's one of the ways they keep the cost down. That first run of robots was pretty pricy indeed in 08. Now, it adds soemthing like 200 bucks onto the price of the guitar to bolt on the upgrade. Granted it's not as elegant or effective, I think, as something purpose built INTO the gutiar like the original robot system, but it's so much more flexible in application and accessibility. I think it's awesome in terms of the possibilities.

Thanks, and yeah I need to read a little to see if this has something similar, but the whole systems shuts itself off when it thinks it's done, which is convenient, but also like someone walking away from you mid sentence if it's still not quite there, hahaha. I do really like how the new machine heads can be turned manually without popping them out. I've been wanting a vintage/tobacco brust lester for years. Just never got around to it until now.

Thanks, and yeah I need to read a little to see if this has something similar, but the whole systems shuts itself off when it thinks it's done, which is convenient, but also like someone walking away from you mid sentence if it's still not quite there, hahaha. I do really like how the new machine heads can be turned manually without popping them out. I've been wanting a vintage/tobacco brust lester for years. Just never got around to it until now.

I'd like to offer my congrats to you on your new purchase. =D> She looks mighty fine and I'm willin' to bet you two are gonna enjoy a lifetime together makin' Awesome sounds, no doubt! I also did make purchase of a Lefty version of this LP Sig. in the same finish as yours. Should arrive on Friday 3/1/13 I hope. It wont have the Min-ETuner on it, but thrilled nonetheless. [thumbup]

Many congrats and a HNGD to you!

I, too, love the VSB finish and yours looks great.

57s with pure nickels should be the dog's spheres but I'm sure you know that already.

I'm most interested about the Granadillo 'board, though. If you don't mind my asking; What do you think about it?

I've played the Richlite and Baked Maple 'boards (and liked them both) but never tried the Granadillo.

Is it more like ebony, rosewood or something else?

In principle I'm a big fan of the wood (and it has a very distinguished history in the world of musical instruments) but with no personal experience I'm at a bit of a disadvantage!

Anyhow, Play Long and Prosper!

P.

I'd like to offer my congrats to you on your new purchase. eusa_clap.gif She looks mighty fine and I'm willin' to bet you two are gonna enjoy a lifetime together makin' Awesome sounds, no doubt! I also did make purchase of a Lefty version of this LP Sig. in the same finish as yours. Should arrive on Friday 3/1/13 I hope. It wont have the Min-ETuner on it, but thrilled nonetheless. [thumbup]

Awesome! I hemmed and hawed on the tuners. Whether to go modern or classic. Modern won. Already have a ton of guitars with the old fashioned tuners. Regardless, if yours is anything like how mine came out, you're gonna love it. The coil taps are a nice add on. Maybe a little brighter than I wanted but that's what knobs are for ;). Coupla covers for the pups and I'm done.

Many congrats and a HNGD to you!

I, too, love the VSB finish and yours looks great.

57s with pure nickels should be the dog's spheres but I'm sure you know that already.

I'm most interested about the Granadillo 'board, though. If you don't mind my asking; What do you think about it?

I've played the Richlite and Baked Maple 'boards (and liked them both) but never tried the Granadillo.

Is it more like ebony, rosewood or something else?

In principle I'm a big fan of the wood (and it has a very distinguished history in the world of musical instruments) but with no personal experience I'm at a bit of a disadvantage!

Anyhow, Play Long and Prosper!

P.

The 57's with nickel strings are indeed the bees knees.

As far as Granadillo goes, it does have a little more orange or yellow of a color than the rosewood we've been used to for years. It doesn't show up in photos and it's not like crayon orange. It looks fairly similar to rosewood and has a similar open grain, so not as slick as ebony or baked maple. Tonally, well... my hearing isn't that great. I'm still on factory strings and the gutiar sounds a tad thin, but I think it is 95% the strings as they're new and not full nickel.

I have granadillo on my moderne and have absolutely no complaints about it. On my lester, well, I've got a deluxe (mini's) and a robot (lp studio pup set) which are close in shape but not in construction or electronics. I'm sure the fretboard makes a difference, I'm highly skeptical of my ability to differentiate or appreciate said difference in a blind test. Main difference to me would be in looks and it looks like lighter rosewoood. I have a couple sg's with baked maple boards and I love those too, but I didn't have one with a rosewood board to really compare. Sorry I can't be of more help on that. I do really like what they've done with this guitar though, and I don't feel the use of granadillo handicaps it in any way. It still sounds like a lester to me.

Thanks for your reply, Hydra. I agree with your sentiments entirely and I'm sure the use of Granadillo in no way is seen as a handicap. Rather the opposite, IMHO. It's a wonderful and higly prized wood.

I think I was less than clear in my earlier post, however. I was just wondering if the Granadillo was closer to ebony or rosewood to the touch.

From your description it sounds like it would be nearer rosewood which is very interesting.

Thanks again and best wishes to you and your new guit!

[thumbup]

P.

Thanks, Pippy. It definitely looks more like rosewood. I would say it feels more like rosewood than ebony as well. It's got a more open grain to it. although it is planed very smooth. On my Moderne it definitely felt a lot more like rosewood. Little tougher for me to tell with all the bling and binding on a lester.

Pippy, I oiled my grenadillo board with the Stew-Mac stuff and it darkened. At first glance it is hard to tell if there is any major difference from Rosewood. With the oil, it may even be darker than some of my rosewood boards. It does seem to be a little more on the brown side while the Rosewood seems to have some grayish overtones. The grain looks a little different but once the fretboard gets a little dirty from playing the guitar i doubt i will be able to see much difference

Archived