Gibson Brands Forums

How to remove paint from a 96 Hummingbird guard

meanstreak

Could that be me ?

I removed the paint from my HB TV guard..for the same reason.

I used various tools..and a lot of PATIENCE. I don't know what the guards are like on Epiphone HB, but the TV guard I just had to methodically scrape the paint out of the grooves of the design.

I used some white spirit on parts that were difficult to completely remove... and was EXTRA careful to not let any touch the finish of the guitar. The scraping tool should not be too hard ; a wooden match or similar will not damage the actual guard.

It took more than a week to do this job..working on the guard every day... I am now very pleased with the result

P2250347_zps630f00c1.jpg

P2250349_zps5f91bb1f.jpg#

P2250361_zps4cc24181.jpg

you can still see the design when light catches it...

Wow that does look great! Exactly what I had on mind! It's a take off guard from a 96 Gibson so it has the grooves too, but won't need to worry about the finish since its not been applied to my guitar yet! When you say white spirit that would be mineral spirit over here, right?

Was thinking of you, Del, yes sir glad you heard.

Well, I been doin' some scraping too. On my F-bird. It had too many flames goin' on everywhere and the ones on the guard sat it on fire.

Removed or thinned some of them with kitchen alcohol (might be the white spirit) and a little swip of vodka plus one of those old 'arrows' (we call them here), for airguns.

Don't know if you know what I'm talking about overthere, but these missiles have the same shape as a round brush for fences and windows, just smaller, about 2 centimeter long.

Worked carefully over many times and found the red paint easier to remove than the yellow. Also used wooden toothpicks and a nail.

Archived