Gibson Brands Forums

Case Help

jchabalk

Hi there, here's an odd one.

I've got a couple of acoustics and the cases for them all have an impression in the padding so the endpin (as well as the whole end of the guitar) can slide into place firmly and easily. I've got 1 guitar case that doesn't have this impression and getting the guitar into the case is always a hassle. The case fits the guitar perfectly and snugly - or it would fit it perfectly if it didn't have an endpin on it. Otherwise it's a perfect fit.

Have any of you ever seen this and is there any easy way to modify the case? I don't want to cut the padding (it's the red plush stuff that's in the gibson custom cases) and I don't want to put something in there to compress the padding that might damage the guitar.

It's an "order of operations" thing on the case I have that has no provision for the end pin to clear the case lining; just get into the habit of putting that part of the guitar into the case first so that the lining doesn't shear away from where its glued to the shell of the case.

A lot of older cases did not have an endpin recess. It can be a bit tricky, depending on how thick and soft the padding is in that area. If it is fairly thick and soft, do like 62burst says, and insert the guitar pin-end first, and carefully. Remove it by reversing the process. Eventually, the pin will wear its own permanent recess in the padding.

If the padding is thin or hard, you really should remove the endpin when you put it into the case. I've seen endpins reduced to plastic crumbles, which is better than punching through your guitar tailblock.

it's weird, i'd think that putting the end in first it would work fine but it's more of a pain.

it's complicated by the fact that this case doesn't sit open on it's own, it just falls closed, so while i'm fiddling with getting the guitar in properly it falls on itself and those brass clips want to wreck the top ;)

What I should do is just suck it up and fix the case so it doesn't fall in on itself and then take it from there. I think it's a TKL from the 90s - it's got a great handle on it and is made, "better," than my more recent ones (in terms of the stiffness, weight and material). Anyway, i'll mess around with it, i was wondering if this was a weird thing or a pretty common one.

It's an "order of operations" thing on the case I have that has no provision for the end pin to clear the case lining; just get into the habit of putting that part of the guitar into the case first so that the lining doesn't shear away from where its glued to the shell of the case.

I agree. I have the same problem with my TeleSelect but the opposite end. I have to slide the headstock in before I lower the rest of the guitar or the end tuning key gets moved.

Archived