Gibson Brands Forums

Boss GT-6

D28boy

Hello D28boy!

You know how subjective it is. Which one is better? The one You like more.

I haven't tried the GT-6 yet, but I did the use a friend's ME-50 for a while and I do own a Zoom MS-50G.

My general opinion about multi-effect processors that they do not deliver the right sound quality. Whichever I tried, or heard seemed "boxy" to me. Also the half of the effects are kind of acceptable, the other half are simply useless. I prefer vintage Ibanez stompboxes for good reason. I bought the Zoom because it's very compact, not stressed to take it out when I go jamming with friends. I can recreate my basic sound with it and can leave the vintage pedals at home. But it's not the same: not bad, tough, but "boxy and metallic".

One I am curious about is the Vox Tonelab LE. One day I will try one, to see whether the pre-amp tube does make it sound better than the rest.

But again, it's me, and I am after more vintage sounds.

Cheers... Bence

I had a GT-6 for a few years from '04....the actual effects except the wah are varied and wonderful, but I can't say the same for the programming which was a complete pain. Trying to balance output vol levels between different patches was extremely hard and frustrating as there are so many different vol stages. It is important to realise it is also a (digital) preamp with COSM amp modelling. I found that the digitally-generated distortions didn't cut through the 1st time I used it live - put that down to my bad programming of the output volumes, but eventually I found the programming was too complex for me despite the truly fantastic modulation effects, and I returned to discrete, mainly analog pedals. However they come up pretty cheap these days and it's a strong, well-built steel unit with every effect you could need although you can only have so many at once - I think it was 6 or 8 but you'd have to check that; if you're prepared to deal with the Boss programming architecture then it would be worth getting one. There was (and maybe there still is) a GT-6 forum which had its share of rude know-it-alls!!

I have not tried the Korg so can't compare.

Regards!

I have one. I used it only for home studio. Sorry to say, I never really mastered it Just as jdgm said, "programing was a complete pain". The the reason I gave up on it had more to do with my lack of dedication and savy than anything wrong with the GT-6. It has an "epic" set of directions and I never could stay with them long enough to go beyond presets. Most of the time, I found myself playing with knobs rather than playing my guitar.

Steve

Archived