Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Super 400 early 1970

kleinman

Hey, that looks really sweet! As a rule. early 70's and 70's- in- general Gibsons don,t get much love or respect from Vintage Gibson Folk. There are always exceptions though [thumbup] Absolutely gorgeous wood selection......No volute....a big plus aesthetically...

How does she sound?

Wow, it must be "Super 400 Week" around here.

I wish someone would send me one (Oh yeah, rule #7, "no begging").

The flame and sunburst are beautiful. It even looks to have some nice figuring in the spruce top. I want one!

Gorgeous!

While I agree that the 70's weren't the best years for Gibson, I'm never surprised when I see guitars like this. It just shows they did at least make some exceptionally nice guitars during that period, despite all the turds and boat anchors that came out too.

Thanks a lot.

I am a very picky person when it comes to stuff like this, but I can honestly say that this guitar is exceptional in terms of quality in the broadest sense.

I have also seen some really good examples of other Gibsons from the 70's and later....so I think each instrument should be judged on its own merits, no matter the year or decade.Pretty sure there were also a few duds built in the 40's-60's era.

Thanks again.

I got this beauty recently. An early '70 I think...no volute, all solid woods...a heavy instrument.

SAM_0314.jpg

SAM_0313.jpg

SAM_0312.jpg

SAM_0321.jpgSAM_0322.jpg

I just joined the forum so I could reply to this post. What a beautiful guitar! I attached a photo of a Super 400 that I sold in 1978. It would something if it is the same guitar. I can supply the serial # and some interesting history if it is the same guitar. Contact me back channel and I'll send you the serial # if you are interested. I attached one of the three photos that I have of the guitar I sold.

post-54521-098237600 1363612759_thumb.jpg

I just joined the forum so I could reply to this post. What a beautiful guitar! I attached a photo of a Super 400 that I sold in 1978. It would something if it is the same guitar. I can supply the serial # and some interesting history if it is the same guitar. Contact me back channel and I'll send you the serial # if you are interested. I attached one of the three photos that I have of the guitar I sold.

Thanks Jode Blonde and WELCOME to the forum !

My bass of the bridge is different to yours which has inlays. I got this one in the UK (Bath) for what its worth.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one, Jim W. Not every day you see a lefty. I see that the tailpiece lacks the small hole for the varitone control, which means that this tailpiece is no older than about 1975. Also, I think it's fairly unusual to see a 1969 Super 400 with a dark sunburst like that. At that time, they were generally reddish rather than brown. If you have more info or pics, please post again. [thumbup]

Archived